1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

will this wood finish work on laminate necks?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by [CRTL+ALT+DEL], Sep 30, 2016.

1. [CRTL+ALT+DEL]

[CRTL+ALT+DEL] mad scientist

May 25, 2008
    Brooklyn
    okay. so there probably a way to do this and i just don't know the name to google it.

i'm looking for a tutorial on how to stain a 5 piece neck, but stain the different pieces different colors. i'm trying to figure out how i could with out the stain bleeding into each other. like lets say it's maple and walnut but i want to bleach or ebonize the walnut and dye the maple a lovely shade of green. is there a way to do this practically?

2. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    I doubt it. If you do them separately, you'll still have to assemble, shape, and sand sand and put on the final finish. Can't imagine how that would work. Same with taping off the assembled pieces. Sounds (IMHO) you are overthinking. Using diff. color woods gives enough contrast, and looks great. I used walnut and flame maple on my build, with a clear finish. Looks fine to me (see avatar), It has aged a bit over the past 20 years, but so have I....LOL. But hey, if someone has a magic formula, I'm listening.........

3. [CRTL+ALT+DEL]

May 25, 2008
    Brooklyn
    sure, it would be easier to just get different colors of wood but some stain colors do not exist in nature. like lime green wood and cerused whitened walnut. also, what if i want to use some boring blonde woods but want them to look more exotic? maybe if the pieces were CNCed, stained separately and glued in a special jig clamp to keep them lined up? maybe a inlaid veneer would be the way to go instead?

4. [CRTL+ALT+DEL]

May 25, 2008
    Brooklyn
    there is also pressure/vacuum infusing stain deep into woods. but i'm not sure if that will ruin some of the physical qualities of the wood

5. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
  6. [CRTL+ALT+DEL]

May 25, 2008
    Brooklyn
    has anyone worked with it? i haven;t but i read somewheres that it ended up more like plastic than wood with hatever they stabilize it with

7. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

Jun 25, 2012
    MI
    May Basses and Alpher Instruments have both done it. I think it's infused with epoxy?

[​IMG]
    *May Custom Basses

But I would say if it's possible to do this with dye (toner maybe?), it should be possible on a neck too

[​IMG]
    *Skervesen Guitars

petey293 likes this.
  8. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
  9. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Hey Bruce and (whatever your tag is) OP I have been having several emails and calls back and forth with Webbwood. This is the only place where the longest piece is 31.5" and with a scarf joint it will work. They have no full sheets at this time in the low density which is what you wou would want to build a neck with. I am contemplating getting a full sheet that is 1.25" thick which is what I would order. Runs about $200 plus I bet an easy $50 for shipping here on the east coast.

Op in Brooklyn you are near Webbwood home base that would be where I would direct you. I personally want to give it a try but $250 is a lot for an experiment they may look great and perform well but sound like tapping on a wet phone book. Still I think I'm going to order some to try...

10. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    Means2nEnd likes this.
  11. Colored Sharpies?

a413c61b095618186021f15293a431a6.

[​IMG]

12. Manton Customs

Manton Customs UK Luthier

Jan 31, 2014
    Shropshire, UK
    Luthier, Manton Customs
    I've done this before also, works well on tops (below), I could imagine neck lams being a pain but it would definitely be possible. Manton Customs Titan 13.JPG

Means2nEnd likes this.