Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will this work alright?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JB Lars, Dec 20, 2002.

1. JB Lars

JB Lars

May 24, 2000
    Chicago Suburbs
    I'm in the market for a rig, after years and years without. (Truth be known, my last "rig" was a Crate 100w combo, so I'm not sure that even qualifies) I'd like to get a smaller setup if possible, with the intention of playing classic rock in bars (and by 'classic rock', I mean Skynyrd, Crowes, Stones, AC/DC).

I'm eyeing with great relish an Avatar 112/C115 setup fueled by a used Hartke 3500. Will this cut it for the situation, or should I resign myself to larger cabinets and ANOTHER hernia? :) I don't exactly need a hi-fi sort of sound, just good 70's thump and punch.

2. blindman

blindman

Aug 14, 2002
    Stow,Oh.
    Depending on the size of the venue this should be fine.I have a HA3500 with a B115 and I'll be adding a 112 soon.The 15 pumps alot of sound but the 12 will certainly help with the mid's and hi's.If the bar is large I will go thru the P.A.

3. JB Lars

JB Lars

May 24, 2000
    Chicago Suburbs
    Bumped so perhaps I can get a few more opinions. No offense, blindman, I just wanna spend my money once, y'know? :D

4. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    you said you wanted more opinions, so heres mine:

i play in bars in Ann Arbor Michigan, home of the University of Michigan. so big sports bars and whatnot (touchdowns cafe and mitch's place FYI)

I cant go through the PA in these places, as they wont let us use the house system, and our PA doesnt have enough power to handle reproduction of bass. So i run 250 watts+250 watts biamped, into a carvin 210 cab, and a home-made 1x18 cab. it works out rather nicely, thought its not efficient enough. Im planning on switching to a 6x10 cabinet soon, as they are more efficient, yet still push enough air to get that "oopmh" effect i like.

I think the 12+15 idea would be a very good setup, and depending on the efficiency of those cabs, it might work out perfectly. It might also depend a little on if you play 4 or 5 strings ( i play 5, hence the 18"). If its not loud enough you can always get some assistance from the PA. If the PA wont handle your bass, then you might not be able to compete with loud amplified guitars. it will all depend on how loud everyone else is.

my band uses the PA for guitars, and our drummer is loud, so im regularly maxing out my rig :rolleyes: you might not have to do this, depending on who your playing with and how big the venue is.

ok that was way too long, sorry
    best of luck.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Twelves and fifteens? Where's your tens?

mff mff mff mff mff mff ...

6. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    hey munji, sometimes i play with just my 18" :D

WOOMPH WOOMPH WOOMPH