1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Will this work? Little Bastard with a power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sevdog, Jan 13, 2012.

1. sevdog

sevdog

Mar 2, 2008
    ATX
    I've got an opportunity to grab an Ashdown Little Bastard for super cheap. I love, love, love, love the sounds I can get out of it but it certainly isn't enough wattage/volume for live applications. So, I was thinking I could possibly just run it through a power amp and into my cab. Anybody do a setup like this? Good Experiences? Bad Experiences? Anybody know of a technical/mechanical problem with doing this?

I'm thinking Little Bastard-> Crown XLS 1000/1500 -> 412 cab

BTW, I read until my eyes crossed. If there's a thread out there about this already just post the link for me and save the smart comments.

Thanks!

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    It can be done but the LB will need a load applied to it. You can get a 200W dummy load from Parts Express but it will need to be bolted to a hefty piece of aluminium to keep it cool.

3. sevdog

sevdog

Mar 2, 2008
    ATX
    Thanks for the response. Is this what you're talking about?

8 Ohm 200W Non-Inductive Dummy Load Resistor 019-030

$31 seems like an easy fix but I have no idea what I'd be doing with that. Is that easy to do or should I go to a shop to see if someone can do this for me. If it's a costly job then the "deal" would run out of favor pretty quick.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Seems like a wasted effort, since all you'd be using from the Bastard is the preamp. If you're buying a poweramp anyway, just get a pre to run it.

5. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    My experience is these cobbled together efforts show their weakness at the gig.
    If you can afford it get a Monique.

6. hennessybass

hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX

I assume we are talking about using the DI out to run into a power amp, right? The LB DI after the power section, not just the pre.

From the LB manual.

DI OUTPUT - This XLR socket is used to connect the amplifier to a low
    impedance, balanced input on a PA system or recording mixer. The DI output
    is taken from a separate winding on the output transformer, allowing the full
    character of the valve tone to be sent to the PA or recording console.

----
    Still doesn't solve the load problem.

7. sevdog

sevdog

Mar 2, 2008
    ATX

Right, so the sound should be maintained through the PA to the cabinet and the Dummy Load that BassmanPaul was talking about would solve the load problem, potentially for $32.

I know a couple of good amp guys I think I'll go pick their brains.

Thanks.

I believe Bob Weston of Shellac does something similar with a Traynor tube head and a power amp; and didn't people do this type of thing a lot back in the days of Hiwatt and Sunn before solid state?

8. sevdog

sevdog

Mar 2, 2008
    ATX
    Whoa. I just went and looked up the Monique. Looks pretty awesome but $1300 kind of kills my whole idea. Seriously looks pretty sweet though. But even still the Little Bastard sounds freaking amazing to me. If I can pull off this LB-> power amp setup then I might be set for life.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'm not 100% sure the DI out will run a poweramp, but it may well. I was thinking run the poweramp from the LB's preamp out, which is the normal way of doing this.

10. sevdog

sevdog

Mar 2, 2008
    ATX
    So, I spoke with some very knowledgeable amp dudes here in Austin. It appears that the answer is a power attenuator. However, the consensus seemed to be for me to get a degree in electrical engineering or something before I try to build/play with this sort of thing or go buy one pre-built (attenuator + cost of amp= no longer cheap setup)

Everyone (handful of old dudes that work on amps and guitars all the time) agreed on a few things:

-that at the minimum I'd be replacing tubes at a rapid rate
    -To be safe I would need to use an attenuator that, like Bassman Paul said, could handle about 200w. And those ain't cheap
    -"Everyone" thought they'd heard somewhere from someone that Bob Weston basically has a small tube amp with an attenuator built into it's own box.
    -It would sound totally awesome and I should do it anyways and let them play with it...which will happen when I have enough money to quit my day job.

11. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Question:
    When you do this will the little Bast sound the way you hear it now? (with a true load)
    If it sounds somewhat different then is there another head that will sound like you want into that cab or a pre that will, into your Crown and cab?

12. sevdog

sevdog

Mar 2, 2008
    ATX

The DI out on the LB comes off of the output transformer, so it is not just the preamp sound. The idea was that the power section is used as well, so a clean power amp could get virtually the same sound as the tube amp. However, I don't have the $$$ to play around with attenuators or the know-how to build my own so I'm going to pass on the LB.

There are plenty of other amps that I like, this thing just sounded so freaking awesome that I wanted to make it work. I suppose if it was so cheap and easy then a lot more people would have done it already.

13. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    There is another simple way that i'll be trying myself:

You just need 2 cabs instead of the attenuator.

LB> Cab 1
    LB DI > poweramp > Cab 2

That way you get the "pure" LB tone from 1 cab and the amplified post power amp signal from the LB boosted and into another cab. I'll be trying this with a 2nd head (an ABM) set to as flat an EQ as possible as i don't have a PA power amp at the mo. I'll let you know how i get on

14. It's likely you'll need another preamp stage of some kind to get the DI to drive the power amp.

15. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Then you will just be using a heavy tube pre, however you did it.

but the whole point of having a tube output section is to hear a tube output section.

between dragging around a amp and a poweramp and some dummy load and another pre. just to hear a tube pre

So much easier to get another pair of 6L6 for 100watts
    or 6550 for 150watts and just run the 412.

Plug amp into cabinet, plug bass into amp, then play.
    2 boxes 3 cords

Box 1 Amp, 2 Speaker cabinet
    Cord 1 power cable ,2 speaker cable, 3 instrument cable

16. I went through this thought process when I wanted to gig my B15. Essentially what you are doing is using the LB to create a very large, heavy, expensive effects pedal. You would preferably want a DI that can take a speaker signal - that will give you the true sound of the LB power section. Then you'll probably need to lift the signal with some kind of pre and then a power amp.

Hate to say it but an easier solution might be to find a 200/300 watt tube amp..... Traynor?

17. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Older thread but if you want the real deal, go LB, into it's own speaker, mic that speaker,----> little mixer---->poweramp----->big cab.

You'd be pretty much hauling around your own personal bass PA with the small tube amp as the tone source. Gotta be an easier way.

18. This, Weber speakers make some speaker loads aswell. It'll run a power amp just fine,

19. You missed the bit about the DI being off the speaker output. My d180 does this and sounds great in the pa.

20. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    Seen a few of these threads and i think a lot of folks are missing the fact the the LB's DI out are post power amp ie. it IS a speaker level DI. You get full power amp distortion from it (if thats what you want) :rollno: