1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Will this work (read: cab ohmage question)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Holy War, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    I'm currently reevaluating my rig. I just sold a bunch of gear and have some money to spend on bass equipment. I have roughly a grand. I want to add another cab to my rig which is a Mesa BB750 into a Mesa PH 1200 (4x10 1x15). I play in two bands, a hard rock/stoner rock gig, and a prog rock gig. Im looking to expand my stage volume with the second cab but am worried about blowing stuff up :bag:

This is what im looking at:

Mesa BB750 into my Mesa PH1200 bridged with a Mesa PH 4x10. I essentially want to get the full HP out of my bass head. Here are the specs:

BB750
    750 Watts @ 2 Ohms (550 @ 4, 280 @ 8), Simul-State Power / 12 Tube Driven Power MOSFET's, 4x12AX7

PH 1200
    # 1200 Watts
    # 8 or 4 Ohms
    # 1x15 & 4x10 Custom Mesa PowerHouse Speakers
    # Custom Mesa Neodymium High Frequency Horn
    # Exclusive Tuned Front Ported “Tri-Port” Design

PH 4x10
    # 600 Watts
    # 8 or 4 Ohms
    # Custom Mesa PowerHouse Speakers
    # Custom Mesa Neodymium High Frequency Horn
    # Exclusive Tuned Front Ported “Tri-Port” Design

Will I be safe doing this? Ive never used 2 cabs before

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Given the BB750 is a monoblock head safe at running into at 2ohms (no 'bridging' needed, I assume you meant running the cabs in parallel out of either the speaker outputs of the amp or daisy chaining one cab to the other), there is nothing you can do to hurt it with that cab combination.

Depending if you have the 4ohm or 8ohm versions of those cabs, the head will be putting out somewhere between 550 and 750 watts at either 2 ohms (if you have two 4ohm cabs), 2.67 ohms (if you have one 8 and one 4) or 4 ohms (if both cabs are 8ohms).

The only thing to watch out for is if both cabs are 4ohms, the head might run a bit hot when pushed to its max at 2ohms, so make sure you have some 'cooling room' around it.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Have you decided to keep the Mesa head? If so, those 2 cabs, (@ 4 ohms each), would absolutely kill.

4. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    yes, both cabs are either 8 or 4 ohms and I will be daisy chaining them, not bridging them

5. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    not 100%. Im going to go play a 2001rb tomorrow and a/b it with my mesa and see what I think. I love the Mesa, I just think that maybe I need to get the full juice out of it to fully appreciate it, something that adding another cab will do