1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will this work? Series/parallel wiring question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matt holt, Jan 14, 2017.

1. matt holt

matt holt Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Cincinnati OH
    Without going into all the reasons why I want to do this, would the following setup work the way I think it would;

If I have an amp with two speakon connectors set to run cabs in parallel. I also have two 210 cabs, both 4ohm, and two 110 cabs, both 8 ohm (All of the cabs have the same driver).

If I take two the two 4ohm 210s and use a serial splitter cable to connect them to one of the amp's speakon jacks and use a second serial splitter cable to connect the two 8ohm 110s to the amp's second speakon jack. Am I correct in my understanding that the total system load will be 5.3 ohms, and the 210s Will have twice as much wattage directed at them as the 110s?

Clear as mud, I know, but hopefully it makes sense.

Thanks in advance!

2. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Two 8 ohm series 110, two 4ohm series 210. Yup and yup.

matt holt and Al Kraft like this.
  3. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    If I understood the hook up correctly, basscooker's math looks good to me, including the load splitting.

matt holt likes this.
  4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    so you'd be cobbling together a 5.3Ω 6x10 cab with all six 8Ω speakers getting equal power. sounds good to me.

you could also spare yourself having to use both of those series cables by re-wiring the two 2x10 cabs to series internally (maybe even adding a switch or a second jack to go from 4 to 16Ω).

matt holt likes this.
  5. matt holt

matt holt Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Cincinnati OH
    Awesome guys, thanks for the input, I appreciate the help.

I thought about that, but it's entirely possible that I will never actually need to do this; most of my gigs are jazz gigs for which a 210 or even 110 is plenty. I just want to know that if I ever get called for a loud rock gig where I needed that amount of power, I could, as Walter said, "cobble together" something. Also, the cabs also have tweeters, and I'm worried that switching how the drivers are wired would throw the crossovers out of whack.