Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will this work to make passive pups active???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Aug 19, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I just picked up a Hohner steinberger copy with no pickups or electronic components of any kind. I have heard it said that these basses sound better active.

I want to things as cheaply as possible with this bass. I am considering buying some EMG selects (yeah i know they arent the greatest, but they're cheap).

Could I just add a 9v to the circuit to make it active? How exactly would I do that?

I know I would only have tone and vol. control on the bass but if i got more juice out of the pickups it might be worth a try.

Forgive my ignorance is this is a ridiculous question.

2. Do a search at google.com for emg installation. That should get you started.

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Depends on what you like. Personally, i don't like the Selects.

Won't work. The Selects are passive pickups which means they only have a coils of wire and a magnet assembly in them. Pickups become active when there is an amplifier built into the housing as the active EMG's do. So, no amplifier in there, nothing to connect the battery to, no extra output.

Also be aware that the Hohners use guitar sized pickups, so few others will retrofit.

If you get bored of the project and ever want to sell the Hohner, email me.