Will this work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fat punk, Aug 17, 2004.

1. fat punk

fat punk

Jul 27, 2004
    I'm planning on building a 1 18 4 10 cabinet, but i've never built any cabinet before. I've done my research but from a carpentry angle it seems to simple to me. I'm not worried about the wiring (paying for that) but the plain construction. The exact plans i'm going to follow are as such. I'm going to make it out of plywood. The face will be as tall as the 2 10s and as wide as 2 10s and the 18. For the actuall construction i plan on making a box out of plywood, with wood strips on each inside edge, and glue on each edge of the wood strips so there will be no leaks. I bought some spray (can't remember the name offhand) to seal the speakers and keep the wood from vibrating, once i install the speakers i plan on filling it with insulation. Will this work? If not, why not and what do I need to do to fix it? Any tips apreciated thank you very much.
  2. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    make sure the volume is right, and search for a program called WinISD for tuning help.
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Go to your local bookstore (or library) and pick up a copy of "The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook". If you just make up dimensions off the top of your head, with no plans for bracing, porting, speaker T/S parameters, you are wasting your time and money . . .

Building your own cab almost NEVER saves you money . . .
  4. Go for it but make sure you read up and have good knowledge of internal bracing, effects of insulating, port tuning, and cab volume. All of these factors will have an effect on the tone and power handling of the cabinet.