Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will this work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blind bass 420, Sep 12, 2004.

1. OK guys i got hell of a deal on a 160w crate keyboard amp... brand new only payed $125. Anyway my question is can i run a guitar through it using distortion? without completely killing the amp? ( I know there is going to be some clipping)

Incase this helps the amp has a 15" woofer and a 1" tweeter its 160w RMS and the model is Crate KX-160.
    Thanks for any input
    EJ

2. bump... come on someone has to know if this is potentially dangerous for them amp?

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes it will be fine. If possible, turn down the tweeter or reduce the highs on the distortion pedal.

4. Yep, no problems. Should sound better than most solid stage guitar amps because of the higher power and better, full-range speaker setup. By the way, a guitar distortion effect doesn't kill amps...but the distortion you get when you crank the input gain full up will hurt the amp over time.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Sure, you can use it for guitar. You might want to disconnect the tweeter.

6. alright guys thnx i will take ur advice and lower the highs and disconnect the tweeter.
    EJ

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It'll work but don't expect it to sound like a guitar combo. Guitar amps usually use speakers which have a very short x-max but very high x-mech. In other words, they hit the limit of their suspension very quickly and therefore distort quite easily. We've all heard guitarists talking about "speaker cone break-up" or running their speakers "on the edge". Thet's what they're hearing.

Keyboard speakers, Bass speakers, and PA speakers don't do this. So you'll probably never get a guitaist happy with this setup. But for most of us, it's just a matter of tweaking the distortion effect until it sounds good to us.