1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will this work????

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MNbassist, Dec 7, 2006.

1. I dont have a jointer, ive been using this really simple way of jointing, but it takes a while to set up....I was thinking that I can take a piece of raw wood (all the wood i buy is fairly straight, just not perfect) and say the wood is 7" wide, run it through the table saw at 6 7/8" just to straighten out the edge...i know it wont be perfectly straight according to the grain, but will it work?

if any of you have ideas for a jointer plz feel free to help out

2. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Do you have a router, a bit with a bearing, and a straight-edge?

I do my jointing on my router-table with a fence, and a couple .01" shims from Rockler.

3. i have a router and a bunch of bits including 1/4" shank mounted and end mounted bearings...but not a table.

4. make a router table by drilling a 1.5" hole on a 3/4" mdf piece about 22" wide by at least 14" deep. Mount your router so that the bit is more or less centered on the hole. You can make a jointing fence the following way:

take a piece of 24" x 4" MDF. Drill a hole right in the middle of it (join two lines cross from the corners and drill a 1" hole right on the center). Split that right down the middle so that you're left with a piece with a half hole on it. Then put a couple of layers of blue painters tape on the left side of it. You've got a jointing fence.

This is how you set it up:
    use at least a 1/2" diam straight bit and point it so that one of the blades is level with the left side (taped) of the fence. You rest a ruler against the left side of the fence so that it overhangs on the hole side. Adjust until the ruler just touches the bit, and clamp the fence in that position.

YOU'VE GOT A JOINTER! it'll probably work for wood 8/4 or less if your straight bit has 2" cutting length.

good luck! I used this method for a couple of years with great success.

5. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Learn how to work with this: (I don't know how it's named in english..)

[​IMG]

Works on all kind of joints, And is (when your good at working with this kind of tools) more accurate then a jointer table..

It's like, not very cheap, but it is a great investment..