Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will this work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Spanqubus, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Spanqubus

Spanqubus

Apr 28, 2003
    Sorry if this has been said before, but I don't think it has. I am about to upgrade my amp and was wondering if this would work.

Furman power conditioner
    SWR Interstellar Overdrive
    SWR Power 750 x2
    SWR Goliath III
    SWR Big Ben

My main question is will the Furman be able to handle the 2 power 750's, both the cabs are 8 ohm.
    I will be running each cab off of one 750.

If there are any other things you find wrong with this I would like to know. Thank You very much!

2. Spanqubus

Spanqubus

Apr 28, 2003
    Anybody?

Please........?

3. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Would it not work out cheaper to get a single (good quality) PA power amp such as a QSC or Crown etc? The furman should be fine with these - only time mine ever got close to the 10 amp trip is when switching the amps on, never got over 3 amps draw when in use (this is with a 750w per channel power amp).

4. Using the equasion Current = Power/Voltage, if you are running 1500W @ 115V (I think this is what it is in the US), you will draw a max current of 13 amps which if this power conditioner trips at 10 amps will trip it but I doubt wheather you use all the power anyway - most being headroom. Just make sure you don't turn the power amps on at full volume.

Hope this helps.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    2 x 750 watts, each into a separate 8 ohm cabinet??... my question would be; are the cabinets rated that high?

Unless, you're playing in 10,000 seat plus arenas, why wouldn't one 750 watt head do the trick? Or; something like Diemeter PreAmp into the SWR or a nice clean, high powered Crown amp...

If you're locked into the set up, the only additional item I would suggest is a DBX compressor.

michael s.
    PS. feel free to write back and let us know what you went with and how it's working out for you...

6. Spanqubus

Spanqubus

Apr 28, 2003
    Well my only thing is that I am still with my parents, just turned 17. I want to get something that will last me a long time. I want to get this now because I have a job and I don't have to pay for anything else. I want to get it before I do have to pay for other stuff. Also I am getting very frustrated with never being able to hear myself. I don't know what it is but I can never, no matter what I do, get loud enough. I am only playing with a drummer, a guitarist with a Mar***ll 2x12 combo, and a guitarist with whatever amp he can find. The Mar***ll never gets turned up past 2 and the other (lead) guitarist pretty much cranks whatever amp he has as loud as it can go. I don't know if I am doing something wrong, but that is why I want to get it now. I want something that will hopefully last me at least til' I am out of college, while at the same time getting something loud.

7. Spanqubus

Spanqubus

Apr 28, 2003
    I just looked, I have been using the pa amp for more volume lately. It is a Carvin DCM 1500. I have it hooked up to my Carvin 15 and SWR Workingman 15 and it still isn't very loud. I don't know what is wrong, seems like it should be louder I have both the knobs on the DCM set at about 2:00 and the gain on my SWR 350 at about 10:00. Am I doing something wrong, will the set up I mentioned above (the new one) work for me? I want loud but at the same time I want low end. I am going to be playing an outdoor show on May 17, and am gonna be without a good p.a. So I need to get this soon! I need loud, please help. Thanks!

8. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes, that rig will be loud. It will also be heavy. The Furman will be fine.

For the $ of all that SWR gear new, you could probably do a lot better. If loud and cutting is your goal, I'd suggest an Ampeg 8x10 and the amp of your choice.

9. Spanqubus

Spanqubus

Apr 28, 2003
    I would like to get that but my problem is I can't really test it so I don't know if I would like it. I only have two weeks to get something and there isn't any place around here that has anything like Ampeg or SWR. I am now looking at the Ampeg 8x10, the only thing anyone around here sells is Peavey. Can I do something to the Peavey to get it to sound like an Ampeg 8x10 so I know what the Ampeg sounds like, or am I gonna have to do some driving? The nearest place to here is like an hour away so I really don't want to do that. Thanks for all your help guys!

10. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Drive, it's worth it. An hour drive is no big deal... I've got to drive about anywhere from 1-3 to check out the real deal when I'm back home. No way in hell would I spend that kind of cash on something I'd never played on... Good luck.

11. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    my suggestion would be to knock one of those 750's off the list. Trust me..... A decent head (700+ watts) and a decent 4x10 will cut through most bands, unless you're playing arenas.

12. MauriLii

MauriLii

Jan 19, 2003
    Kent, England
    Nope, sorry. Don't think so.

Yup, I agree. I'm in a similar situation and I know it's frustrating, but at least that way you will be able to get a good idea of what you're spending your hard earned money on. Also keep in mind that not only are you going to use this rig for a long time, but you're also going to have to carry this rig for a long time (up stairs, in and out of vehicles, up stairs, did I mention up stairs?). Don't let one gig (May 17) decide what you end up having to use for a long time. Maybe renting a rig for that gig will give you an idea of what you want to eventually pick up anyway. If nothing else, it'll give you an idea of what you don't want to buy.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

13. Spanqubus

Spanqubus

Apr 28, 2003
    Sounds like a good idea, how much will that cost do you think? Where might I be able to rent an amp? Thanks!

14. MauriLii

MauriLii

Jan 19, 2003
    Kent, England
    I can't help you on that one. You may end up calling the places that you would have to drive an hour to get to anyway. As far as cost is concerned, maybe some of the TB'ers from your area might be able to help. You could address a thread as "Attention everybody from the _______ area." The gang here is usually pretty quick to respond.

Good Luck!