Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will this work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JahKnow, Jun 14, 2003.

1. JahKnow

JahKnow Guest

I'm considering going to an AI Clarus/Ampeg PB212 set up for use with my fretless X-Factor Kubicki, on small Jazz gigs and practices.

I also own a Mackie SM450 powered PA cab that I have been using as my main rig w/another pre-amp.

Will it work to run the DI out of the Clarus to the Mackie w/out a speaker load, or should I always use both cabinets?

Will I get the true sound of the Clarus through the Mackie?

:meh:

PEACE!!!!!, Johno!

2. JahKnow

JahKnow Guest

One more question, would an Avatar CB112 sound good w/a Clarus?

PEACE!!!!!!, Johno!

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Since the Clarus is solid state, you should have no problems running it without a speaker load attached. It's with tube power amps that you must have a load...reflected impedance and all that good juicy technical stuff...

As for the Clarus pre through the Mackie...I've never used a Clarus but I understand that it has a very flat response... I don't know what the response of a SM450 is like...probably optimized for sound reinforcement. My suggestion is to try it out and let your ears be the judge. If you like it...it's good!

The Clarus/CB112 should sound good. You like your Clarus (right?) and the CB112 should sound good. I had a B112 and liked it quite a bit. The new CB112 had beefed up low end which is a good thing. Besides, Dave gives you a trial period to decide.