Will this work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JahKnow, Jun 14, 2003.

1. JahKnow

JahKnow Guest

I'm considering going to an AI Clarus/Ampeg PB212 set up for use with my fretless X-Factor Kubicki, on small Jazz gigs and practices.

I also own a Mackie SM450 powered PA cab that I have been using as my main rig w/another pre-amp.

Will it work to run the DI out of the Clarus to the Mackie w/out a speaker load, or should I always use both cabinets?

Will I get the true sound of the Clarus through the Mackie?

PEACE!!!!!, Johno!
  2. JahKnow

JahKnow Guest

One more question, would an Avatar CB112 sound good w/a Clarus?

PEACE!!!!!!, Johno!
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Since the Clarus is solid state, you should have no problems running it without a speaker load attached. It's with tube power amps that you must have a load...reflected impedance and all that good juicy technical stuff...

As for the Clarus pre through the Mackie...I've never used a Clarus but I understand that it has a very flat response... I don't know what the response of a SM450 is like...probably optimized for sound reinforcement. My suggestion is to try it out and let your ears be the judge. If you like it...it's good!

The Clarus/CB112 should sound good. You like your Clarus (right?) and the CB112 should sound good. I had a B112 and liked it quite a bit. The new CB112 had beefed up low end which is a good thing. Besides, Dave gives you a trial period to decide.