will usb be the answer for accessing internal synths?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bjazzman, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    so after doing some research, it seems that even the latest and greatest midi pickups and converters still aren't that great when triggering synths like reason and others.

im wondering if somehow going from the bass to usb will be the wave of the future in terms of ultra fast tracking and accuracy when it comes to soft synths.

im aware of the stealthplug but i don't think thats up to par still.

and i don't think you can access reason or ni massive and the like without midi. is this correct?

so will usb or firewire be able to do this eventually?

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    Synths require MIDI input to be triggered, and many MIDI controllers these days have a built in MIDI interface so you can connect them to a PC via USB. The Stealthplug as far as I know is just a recording device with a built in USB audio interface.

You have 3 main ways to get your bass to trigger MIDI:

1 - Use a special MIDI pickup, this should give the best results.
    2 - Use a hardware device that converts audio to MIDI such as the Peterson G2M.
    3 - Use a software audio to MIDI converter.

USB is just a way of transmitting data, it won't magically solve any of the tracking problems you're describing with current devices.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021