1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

will work for food: homeless SB-2

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by saxofunk, Mar 3, 2008.

1. saxofunk

saxofunk

Jul 25, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    I found a homeless old SB-2 hanging on the wall of a local pawn shop and thought a little press might help her find a good home.

DSCN0546.

She is in good shape over all considering her age. The finish is fine except for surface scratches. I detected a scratchy volume pot, a couple nicks in the finish along the back of the neck, and some faded chrome.

I am in no way affiliated with the shop, I'm just an average joe who wants to see a good bass have food and shelter. PM me if interested in her location.

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Don't let the slab body and "radio knobs" put you off on a first gen SB2.

IMO, these are the best Jazz bass ever made, and whip the tar outta a new issue JB2.
    Note: the necks are 1 3/4" at the nut, so you get a JJ body with a P neck; which suits me better anyway;)

The pickups are big, clear and meaty. Controls are a three way pup selector, vol/tone.
    Both of mine are very light.

3. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Dang it! I don't need another Fender-type bass.

4. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things.

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    thats pretty hot. love the maple board...

5. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    +1 my '83 is my main bass. I've tried to overlook it for my L2K and L1K but it remains on top.

How much are they asking for it?

6. saxofunk

saxofunk

Jul 25, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Tag is $599, $549 is their "best price"

I could be tempted but the color is not my cuppa.
    What's the neck on these? It seemed beefier than my Tribute SB-2 #8.

7. What he said. ;)

That price is really tempting. It'd be nice to have a true vintage G&L, especially since Chef says it makes a terrific Jazz Bass sound. I just wish I didn't have debts to pay.

8. saxofunk

saxofunk

Jul 25, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Um, I saw that... I was just testing.

:eyebrow:

9. earlgray

earlgray

Jul 12, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    Absolutely. I want one.

These are great basses and tough as nails, too. My bass teacher/mentor still gigs his 83 SB-2 that he bought new. It looks like crap -- there's almost no paint left on the body and you would be afraid to touch the neck, but that is his main (almost only) gig bass & it plays circles around just about anything else. Its been there & back and shows it. But, when the sound really counts, this is the bass he grabs.

Jump on it.

10. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    That's about the right price. It's not a steal-but it is-an everyday steal.
    I have played mine A/B next to a mid 70's Fender Jazz and the tones were similar, the G&L was much more playable and about 1/6 the price.