Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will Y Cables Work for Better Distortion Sound?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pkeeg, Oct 24, 2000.

1. I've found on another Web site advice that I'm hoping you guys can advise me about. It states that useing a Y Cable split the signal, one into the distortion unit and one to bypass it.Then using a second Y Cable bridge the two signals back together for a mix of distorted and clean signal in order to retain the bottom end that distortion units are notorious for removing.
    Doesn't sound right to me, sounds too simple, and if it did work alot of people would be use thie set-up. Any thoughts or comments?
    Below I've put the address for the web page. Once there, go to the bottom of the page and click on Appendixes. When there scroll down to Appendix IV (On Effects) then go to Distortion.

http://ubets.uark.edu/~jemartin/bassbook/index.html

[Edited by pkeeg on 10-24-2000 at 07:30 PM]

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Mixing dry and wet signals is quite common.The methods vary. Hartke amps have solid state and tube pre-amps that can be blended. Some amps have an effects loop with a pot to balance the amount of effect to the dry signal. Recently effects makers have made bass specific gain type units-Boss ODB3 Fulltone Bassdrive Z Vex Wooly Mammoth and of course the sans amp bass driver(and others before the complaints come in ).

The only answer is: what works for you is right.

3. The double Y cable thing won't work. You can't just take two signal sources (the dist unit's and the bass) and tie them together. You'll get a lot of distortion signal because the (active) dist pedal outputs a preamplified signal with a lower output impedance than a bass (even an active bass). If the bass is preamplified first, it just might work.

The ODB-3 is great! It solved every problem I ever had with distortion.

4. i wanna hear someone else's opinion.

5. TerribleLiar23

TerribleLiar23 Dynamics. Dirt. Delay. Done. Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2011
    RTP
    Hopefully you don't have to wait 14 more years....

Unemploid likes this.
  6. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Lots of ways to do it, whatever works and sounds cool to you. You are the artist.

Split the signal with a Y, then send one signal clean to one amp, then send the other signal to the effects pedal, then to another amp.

Or if you have a dual pup bass, re-wire it to stereo output. Send the neck pup clean to its own amp, send the bridge pup to the effects pedal, then to its own amp.