1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will you support a ban on Fire Extinguishers?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by syciprider, Mar 15, 2008.

1. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    What in the world????

Fire extinguishers may be removed from blocks of flats across Britain after they were deemed dangerous by buildings risk assessors at two blocks on the South Coast.

Many residents regard the distinctive red extinguishers as the first response to fire, giving vital time until professional firefighters arrive.

But a review of two residential blocks in Bournemouth has raised concerns that householders could delay their escape to tackle a blaze. There is also concern that the use of extinguishers by untrained people could add to the danger.

The report has the backing of Dorset Fire and Rescue Service and extinguishers have already been removed from the two blocks – Admirals Walk and the 10-storey Avon House.

Under the Regulatory Reform Fire Safety Order 2005 the managing agents of every private block of flats must hire professional assessors to carry out a risk assessment .

Residents of Admirals Walk were informed in a letter from their managing agents that “unless all residents are trained to operate the fire extinguishers, there is no legal requirement to maintain these in communal areas of residential blocks”.

Hamilton Townsend, managing agents for Avon House, confirmed that the recommendation was to remove extinguishers.

Pete Whittaker, the protection policy manager at Dorset Fire and Rescue, said: “As part of the assessment, the assessors now look to see whether fire extinguishers are actually required in that particular block. In some cases, they are no longer needed and provide more of a hazard being there.

“We do not want to encourage people to leave their flat to fetch a fire extinguisher from a hallway and then return to a blaze. We want people to get out safely.

“Obviously in some cases, an extinguisher could come in useful in a communal area but with new building regulations, every escape route should be completely fireproof. It very much depends on the individual property and what the assessor believes is the correct course of action.”

Residents described the ban as ridiculous. Mike Edwards, a 61-year-old retired printer who lives in Avon House, said: “I was absolutely staggered to discover the fire extinguishers were to be taken out. How can removing fire extinguishers be a safe decision?

“The risk assessor said an extinguisher could cause a hazard if the person using it has not been trained. They are worried they will point it in the wrong direction or use the wrong extinguishers on a certain type of fire but if you are trapped in a burning building, you will certainly work out how to use an extinguisher.

“Our eldest resident is 103 but even she said she could quickly work out how to use an extinguisher in an emergency.” He added: “Our block is very high and there is one fire extinguisher in the communal area on every floor. People feel safe knowing they are there. The fire service can’t quickly get their equipment above the eighth floor. If someone is trapped above that level, are they just expected to sit and burn?”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3525380.ece

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Who is proposing a ban on fire extinguishers?

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Ridiculous.

4. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    I don't see any reason why a civilian should be allowed to operate something as dangerous as a fire extinguisher. Aren't there people with proper training that are paid to deal with fires? What if someone doesn't know how to work one and decides to puncture it to get it open? It could fly around and kill someone!:eek:

:bag:

5. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I guess the question is whether the use of a fire extinguisher in general results in more harm than good. Obviously in the hands of someone trained on the proper way to use it and someone who knows when a fire is too big for an extinguisher it won't cause any greater problems.

I'd need to see some pretty good evidence to convince me that they were more harm than good though. Obviously one could conceive of a situation where it does more harm than good, but the question becomes if that is reality or even the norm.

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    It would be funny if, for once, people actually read the article thats posted before jumping to conclusions. Although, I wouldn't want to set my sights too high! :D

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Well it seems that having them in the building, rather than in peoples houses can do more harm than good as people run out of their apartment and to get the fire extinguisher rather than just leaving to safety. AFAIK no one is prohibiting you from having your own (non-building supplied) fire extinguisher in your apartment.

8. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO
    I hope you are kidding. If so (I have faith in you), that is hilarious. Around here (and I'm sure it's not a local thing), property owners are required to keep working extinguishers in places like the kitchen and bathrooms. So alot of poeple just lease the extinguishers so that they are checked and recharged for free. I didn't read the whole article, but maybe the owners in that situation banded together and are trying to cut out inspection and recharging costs on the extinguishers they are responsible for.

There I go, jumping to conclusions again. It's a conspiracy. I know it is. :p

9. I think the residents should protest by self-immolation.

Mike

10. ahkiatt

ahkiatt

Sep 30, 2006
    Singapore
    Darwinism comes to play here.

If you see a huge fire, and you try to put it out with a fire extinguisher, you probably do not deserve to reproduce.

11. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    That's the salient bit quoted above.

1. Would I support a ban on fire extinguishers? No.

2. Would I support what this article is actually about and what is actually occurring? Yes.

3. Would I support greater funding going to reading comprehension programs in schools. **** yes! :D

:bag:

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Why not make everything fireproof anyways? Lets remove the stoves, and everyone has to use a microwave.

13. I think its an american thing :p

I dont think they should remove the fire extinguishers from the hallways, incase theres a fire there. But it does make sense to have your own fire extinguisher in the flat, as opposed to you running out, grabbing one from the hallway and running back in. (Which is basically what this is about). Fire can spread pretty quickly . . .

14. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I think they should be in both places. Makes more sense. No reason to let the building burn if a trash can is smoldering..

15. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    Unless there was a hidden one that I missed, the OP only asked two questions and neither mentioned any article. So far, you've given answers to three questions
    (only one of which was asked by the OP), and you've completely ignored this one.

Maybe you should work on reading comprehension!;)

:D

16. Thats what I said :p (but thanks for proving my point on the not reading part ;) )

I can see some issues with having them in the hallways, high chance of getting vandalised and if someone ran to use them and it didnt work or was empty it could be life threatenting. But either way, in both the hall and the flat is the way to go.

17. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Exactly. Many folks miss the point of having a fire extinguisher. You can put out the fire before it becomes a serious blaze.

18. toytech

toytech

Mar 22, 2004
    San Leandro
    When fire extinguishers are outlawed, only outlaws will have fire extinguishers... :p

19. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    That's a good reason to have one in your apartment, but seeing as many people don't, having elderly people run down, perhaps, a few flights of stairs to the common area to pick up a fire extinguisher then to have to run back up into what may have become a potentially bigger fire seems a higher risk than having them just continue out the building and call the fire brigade. Seems pretty logical to me. As the article said, its building dependent based n an overall risk assessment.

Would you support compulsorily requiring all people to have fire extinguishers in their building?

20. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    It should be up to the people living there.

Do I want to risk my life to possibly save some items/whatever? Personally probably not, but on the other hand when something small that could have easily been put out with a fire extinguisher takes out a building they may re-think this.

Very sad.