Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Willa Stingray PG fit a SUB?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superfly, May 5, 2005.

1. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Anyone know if a Stingray Pickguard will fit directly on a SUB bass?
    I just picked up a passive SUB new for $500 at GC. It sounds much beefier and warmer than I thought it would.Must be the passive electronics. I like it. Well I have 30 days to see if I do.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yes. At least EB was smart enough to make that hideous thing easilly replaceable.

3. What DOES "SUB" stand for, anyway?

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sport Utility Bass I believe.

5. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    go the SUBs!

6. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    correct :cool:

7. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I gotta say the SUB is a nice bass. It sounds great ,stays in tune, intonates properly. I'm glad I got the passive version. I think it is warmer and punchier than the active one.
    I just ordered a mint white pickguard to replace the funky aluminum one. I think the mint will look cool on the black sub. I also put some Labella nylon tapewounds on it.
    They should have called the SUB the SOB instead. It looks mean!

8. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I got a new X01 SUB for $319.99 on sale at GC last fall when they were selling off a bunch of them cheap, and I have to agree that it's a very nice bass (though mine is a very heavy example). Excellent fret detailing and nice construction throughout. "Rugged" doesn't begin to cover it. It's just an indestructable gigging axe. This passive version works great for me. The regular Stingray pickup has plenty of grunt, and I don't miss the active circuit for what I'm doing.

I'm extremely impressed with it as an instrument and as a concept. It's a no-foolishness, pro-grade bass.

Oh, if I run across a Stingray pickguard someone's swapping out that I can pick up cheap, I guess I will. :p

9. would an SR5 pickguard work on a sub5?

10. No it won't.

11. WarwickFan

WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Florida
    They call the guitars SUB also. Guess it looks better than SUG.