1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Willie Weeks

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by big empty, May 2, 2006.

1. big empty

big empty

Oct 11, 2005
    Diamond Bar, CA
    So I got Donny Hathaway's live cd and I am digging the hell out of it. Where do I go from here, and does he groove that hard on any other projects he worked with?

2. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    hey man i own that record. he really kicks out the groove, he has a great solo too. i wouldn't mind finding out what other stuff he jams on too.

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    WW is one of the greats, amazing tone and solid cat!

4. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    Big Empty where did you get your copy at?

5. big empty

big empty

Oct 11, 2005
    Diamond Bar, CA
    Some online music store... I don't remember which one. Little Ghetto Boy (track 5) has 4 or 5 little bass solos, plus a solid ass groove melodic groove. A must hear and must (try to) learn for any bassist who appreciates the old school.

6. terrelli721

terrelli721

Mar 19, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Finally a thread where we are discussing a master. WW is all over the pocket in little ghetto boy, and I love the way he jams on those little solo's. great song, and a great player!!!!

7. Bass Boy

Bass Boy Supporting Member

The DW live CD is always in my CD case! The Scofield Ray Charles tribute is pretty groovin too. You can listen to samples at amazon.com

8. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Weeks is the man.
    I love his tone and he's just ...the man!

I think he plays a Sadowsky 5string PJ, or at least he did for a while in the 90's.

9. rylche

rylche

Oct 27, 2005
    Singapore
    If I remember correctly ,he plays a green Fender P in the early part of his career, with Donny Hathaway particularly. Love his playing on Everything is Everything.

10. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Voices Inside (Everything is Everything) is a Bass classic...

11. "On bass, the baaaaadest bass player in the country, Willie Weeks y'all!"

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Any albums with Willie teamed with drumming great Andy Newmark have awesome groove. One of my favorites was Jungle Fever.....Sudden Samba anyone.:cool:

13. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    For some reason I have his phone # in my wallet. ;)

Willie is a great guy and a fine musician.

14. big empty

big empty

Oct 11, 2005
    Diamond Bar, CA
    Give me artist names and song titles

15. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    He does some pretty impressive work with Vince Gill too. IIRC, he's also jammed with Wynona Judd.

16. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    Ive always tried to find pics of willie Weeks playing live jstu photos of him playing back in the day and I can never find any? Ive always heard to that on the back of Donny Hathway LIVE there is a pic of the whole band playing. CAn anyone post that photo?

17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

18. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    That is one awesome band My Clapton has got himself.
    Himself and probably the best young guitarists Derek Trucks
    A great rhythm section with Willie Weeks and Steve Jordan
    anyone who goes to a show is gonna be in for a treat

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Jerry is talking about Neil Larsen's Jungle Fever ("Sudden Samba" is one the cuts on that record).
    I have that one on LP along with its 'companion' disc, High Gear. IIRC, that has Abe Laboriel on bass...will have to check).

Anyway, both those discs may be-
    a)OOP
    b)Overpriced as a Japanese Import

Weeks also played in the Larsen-Feiten Band..."Who'll Be The Fool Tonight" was one of their hits.

I last saw Weeks back when he was a member of The Doobies...IIRC, he was on the Live double album that was released back in the early '80s.
    (I think he's on the cover photo of One Step Closer even though it's Tiran Porter on the recording).