Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Willis Custom Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by _christian_, Sep 15, 2005.

1. I've been looking around for a new bass, and I really would like a custom. I've been looking at DP Custom basses (Dave Pushic) and eslewhere around the internet, and I found Willis Custom basses. If you ahve played one or seen one, what did you think? They are priced reasonably and I don't know if they are good and all that stuff, I know it depends on what electronics and would you use too, but I'm talking about the craftsmanship and all that good stuff. What do you think of 'em?
    Link to Willis Custom Basses website http://willisguitars.com/nonflashsite/index.php

2. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

They could be good basses though I had not heard of them before this thread. One of the things I look for when going into a custom situation is the possibility of name recognition if I do decide to sell it. I know it's not the best way to go into a custom build, but it is a reality.

It all depends on what you are looking for. There are some builders who are more expensive than others. Does that mean they do a better job, not always. You really have to call a few and get their ideas on custom instruments.

Here are a few you should check into:

Brian Barrett - www.thelowend.net
    Mark Garza - www.garzguitars.com
    Chris Stambaugh - www.stambaughdesigns.com

All of these guys build really quality instruments that won't break the bank.

Good luck.

3. Hey thanks west coast! New builders and luthiers will always be welcome to me. I'm pretty new to the custom world and don't know much, so if you or anyone else has suggestions of builders or parts or anything, please let me know. It would be much appreciated! :)

4. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    The 3 guys I listed are all top of the game in all areas - especially customer service.

I have had 1 bass made so far by Brian Barret of The LowEnd (bitchin' Jazz basses if that's your thing) and one more on the way; 2 basses built by Mark Garza, another amazing builder and human being.

I have not yet had anything made by Chris Stambaugh but I just talked to him the other day about possibly building me something. Another great guy.

Carey Nordstrand is also really great to deal with as is George Furlanetto of F Bass fame...these builders are a bit more in the upper price range.

Anyway, let us know what you decide to do and post any progress pics.

Mark

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Here's a pickup setup you don't see often:
    [​IMG]

6. Yeah I've never seen that set up before, but I do have it exasctly opposite, P up at the neck and J at the bridge. Who makes that bass? I can't tell...