1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wills this cope in a band situation?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JmD, May 6, 2006.

1. JmD

JmD

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
  2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    If a guitar player wants to bury you, he will with 50w.

I'm not sure what's available on your side of the water in used, but I'd be looking at used, probably Peavey.

3. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    A 50 watt guitar amp can be amazingly loud. You'd best step up the wattage a bit. Can you step up the the 250 watt range?

4. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    guitar amp watts is not the same as bass amp watts. in theory it is but in pactice it isn't, and thats a fact. 180 watts will most likley not be enough in a band situation. it really depends on your band and what kind of music you play. i play in a 5 piece band (2 gits, drums, voc, bass) and my 300 watt amp is just about enough for rehearsals. we play rock, nothing heavey though.
    try to find a used amp.

5. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    you'd be better off saving up for this http://www.giggear.co.uk/home/index.php?m=shop&prodid=1630. with this you won't really ever have trouble being heard, and if i'm not mistaken this combo is easily good enough to gig with....so you would not have to end up upgrading right away later.

6. Yeah, those amps cant cope much, a friend of mine used to have one, well, still does, and it couldnt handle a small gig and could hardly manage band practice

It was on comparable volume levels when the guitarists had 20 and 30 watt 1x12 combos, but thats about it, any more and it couldnt hack it

7. bill_banwell

bill_banwell Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2002
    England
  8. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    You will need more power if playing rock. Guitar don't need as much wattage to cut through because of the range of the instrument. Also I assume they are using tubes which power rating appear low, but are loud. Bass need more power and/or more speakers to move enough air to keep up. As ESP said look for used gear, get more amp for your money.

9. JmD

JmD

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    Looks like ebay it is for a 300watt amp.

10. ashdown MAG great amps, will hold its own in a band situation, e-bay always have something or other on

11. ukbassboy

ukbassboy

Mar 19, 2006
    UK
  12. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Since you're in the UK, use ebay.co.uk and you should be able to find used Trace Elliot or Ashdown amplifiers for fairly cheap prices.

Try to get something higher powered like 250W or more if possible.

13. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    If your guitar player is using a 1x12 50 watt you can get away with around 250 to 300 watts and a 1x15 ... or if he has a 2x12 or 4x10 amp, same watts and 2x15s should do it.

My guitar player has a LOUD 2x12 (uses 6550 tubes) and I usually use a 575 watt ABM Ashdown and at least 4x10s or more likely 8x8s ...

GO USED ...

14. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Yeah, I'd go with Kenny. I think 300-350 watts might not be enough if they're playing with 50W heads. I wouldn't consider anything less than 500Watts. Maybe I'm biased, but as the bass player you should always have the power to bury the guitarist. That keeps them in check when you suggest that they turn it down.;)