Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Willy Weeks

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by cassanova, Mar 10, 2002.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Just got in from a Vince Gill concert and his bassists name is Willy Weeks (sp)
    His tone was to die for, it was so deep, yet clear and articulate, he didnt get lost in the mix so much as once. I know he had a eden wt-1000 head and eden xlt 2x10 cab. and a lakland bass. I was close enought to spit on the guy so i know thats what he was using.

He played some really cool lines kinda jazzy without being jazz if ya know what i mean, some r-v stuff, every line he played suited the song to a tea imo, he didnt over or underplay anything. and i was really impressed with a few of his lines.

Id like to learn a little bit more about this cat, so i can learn a bit more about him.

anyone here ever heard of him and maybe know who else he's played with?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Willie Weeks is one of the Classic(& classy) R&B bassists; he's been recording since the early '70s(?). He used to wield a Fender P-bass.

You've heard Bowie's "Fame", right? That's Weeks.
    Weeks replaced Tiran Porter in The Doobies(early '80s)...I think his first with the band was the One Step Closer album(+ a LIVE album a little later).
    Weeks played in the '80s version of Full Moon, The Larsen-Feiten Band(they had a couple of hits..."Who'll Be The Fool Tonight").

Late '80s or so, Weeks went to Nashville; he was Wynonna's bassist for awhile(I think that's him on "No One Else On Earth"...it's definitely him on the video!).

BTW, the must-own album with Weeks is Donny Hathaway's Live album...it took me a few years before I stumbled onto a copy of that one, too!

3. willie weeks is the man to listen too,

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    This is an album that EVERY BASSIST SHOULD OWN!

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    thanks guys. Im going to keep my eyes open for Donny Hathaway's Live album as well as some of the stuff he did with the Doobie Brothers and Wynona (even though I dont care for either of them much.)

Im really curious to hear some of his work on the R&B stuff from the 70's too.

Jim, you are definatly the man, it seems that just about every bassist name who comes up, you know something about (well at least the ones Ive asked about anyway)

Thanks Guys! I apreciate it!

6. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Cass, it's not easy to find "D.H. Live"...at least not in my area. I got mine from CDNow.

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The solo on Everything Is Everything is killer.

Thanks for the reminder to get that CD.

<small>***scribbles on notepad***</small>

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Simple; I'm old.

9. Willie Weeks also played on Dave Lee Roth's cover of "California Girls", and "Just a gigolo/I ain't got nobody" (nice walking line).

10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I believe Weeks also played with George Harrison for a time. I think Harrison was even quoted--or perhaps MISquoted--as saying that he'd rather have Weeks on bass than McCartney.

He might have played on a track or two of Stevie Wonder's "Innervisions" as well.

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The rhythm section of Willie Weeks and Andy Newmark was a awesome one....the work with Neil Larson is great..i.e. Sudden Samba! Jim's right about the Donny Hathaway live album......I too am old and remember what a mindblower that album was when it came out:) On a side note....one of my long time gigs is with a songwriter named Gail Swanson who's last album was a double C.D. she did one here and one in Nashville and Willie was her bassplayer.......the cool thing for me was, she recorded a couple songs I cowrote with her with Willie! For me having a bassplayer that I have loved almost since I started playing bass play my music is a highlite in my life!
    Aloha, Jerry

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Jerry-
    Cool story... ;)

I forgot about those Neil Larsen albums(Jungle Fever & High Gear w/ Abe Laboriel, I think).
    BTW, I picked up the first Full Moon album as an import from Tower last Summer...that's one record I've been trying to pick up since, I dunno, '75?
    Anyway, I wore out the cassette copies I had back in the '80s...Full Moon was waayy ahead of their time. Great 'jazzy' Pop/R&B/Rock. Great album!
    ...& Dave Holland even guested on a couple tracks(the cd has a bonus cut written by Holland; it's almost an 'out' piece in 3/4 time).

On a tangent, Sea Level(an offshoot of The Allman Brothers Band) covered Full Moon's "Midnight Pass"
    on their debut. They did a very nice job of pulling it off, too.

13. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Jim....I'm a big Neil Larson/ Buzzy Feiten fan! Buzzy is one of my favorite guitar players! I just picked up the new Robben Ford album and it has Neil Larson on it. The other Neil Larson album that had Abraham paired up with Steve Gadd was great two.....I was able to get Jungle Fever on C.D. a couple years back but I still only have the other ones on vinyl.
    Aloha, Jerry

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Alert for those interested-

www.dustygrooves.com is stocking Donny Hathaway LIVE from '72...for $12.99.

...I wish it was that easy when I searched for this recording! ;)

15. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    That's about a million bucks worth of bass how-to packed into that $12.99 package, too. Whatta bargain, huh?

16. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [the cool thing for me was, she recorded a couple songs I cowrote with her with Willie! For me having a bassplayer that I have loved almost since I started playing bass play my music is a highlite in my life!

(Thud!! Pedro falling out of his chair totally impressed.) Holy crap Jerry, that's amazing. Did you get to meet and greet him?

Anyhoo, every couple of months somebody discovers Willie Weeks. He's definitely a bass player's player. And as has been said before, the live Donny Hathaway album should be in every bass players collection. In fact, I'd say any musician would do well to study the album and hear how real musicians play 'together' . It is a classic picture of how soul music was played in the late sixties and early seventies and you'll understand what a monstrous talent Donny Hathaway was and what a tragedy it is that we lost him so early.

17. Cool! I just ordered one. Thanks for the tip Jim.:)

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm going broke at Dusty Grooves...
    They're stocking some Jazz titles I'm interested in (Chicago Free Jazz scene/musicians) & their price is LOW compared to the usual sites I hit. I picked up a Richard Davis album last week for $4.99; I also just picked up the Death Wish soundtrack(Herbie & The Headhunters) for $6. There's some import titles, too, that are lower priced than the "import houses"(I picked up Hancock's Direct Step for about $10 CHEAPER).
    Anyway, a pretty happenin' on-line store and they do get the orders out PDQ. I just ordered a couple discs last Sunday...got 'em Wednesday.

19. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Naw Pedro......I didn't go to Nashville:-( I would have said something stupid anyway.....
    Has anybody notice the Gerald Johnson from Steve Miller's band er...a..borrowed some of Willie's solo for the song Shu Ba Du MaMa Da off the Joker album? Gerald was another old time favorite of mine.

20. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Jerry I'm still impressed. I'll bet Willie came up with just the perfect line.