Wimbledon anyone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bass87, Jun 26, 2003.

1. You know, the tennis tournament?

I've been watching quite a bit so far this year, and it's been pretty cool so far. What are everyone's predictions to win? I think Agassi with definitely win the Mens now Hewitt is now out :)eek: ). Don't know too much about the Ladies, but it will probably be one of the Williams'.

Anyone see Rusedki's outburst yesterday? Pretty pathetic IMO. Although the umpire did get it wrong, the point was unimportant and he should have held his serve for the set, not fallen apart like he did. Ah well, typical Brit under pressure :rolleyes:
  2. I don't think there's anything typically British about crumbling under pressure and I resent the comment - not to mention that by birth Rusedski is Canadian.

I think the umpire was wrong and I don't blame Greg at all for shouting about it - I wish more people had some character like that. Far better than that odious little twerp Tim Henman - what a boring tosser...the most you get out of him is a clenched fist.

Who will win? The ladies will be one of the Williams sisters because ladies tennis is dull and predictable. I think Roddick will win the Men's tournament.
  3. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    God i hate wimbledon.

It really disrupts cbbc and today it even made me miss Arthur, and i love Arthur :mad:

Chuh, sport :(
  4. the photoshop-aholics at B3TA paid tribute to Henman's noble efforts last year in a very moving way, I thought-

5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    LOL..... and yet every year, there's a constant drone of

(English accent on) "I think it's gonna be Henman's year......" (Engligh accent off).
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes :mad: - that only applies to English Cricketers!! ;)
  7. Not to mention The Simpsons and Fresh Prince! Man, I hate tennis, although I luckily saw Rusedski's outburst, absolutely hilarious, and as I think someone else said Henman is a idiot, people think highly of him, but he's just not a good tennis player, although he's richer than me by a long shot :mad: :p.
  8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yes but your Rugby Union team cancel the cricketers out. I predict England will win the Rugby world cup this year.
  9. yep- and out he went yesterday...

and they were still saying "he'll be back next year!"

ps. another www.B3TA.com tribute to Henman- here being taken by surprise by the speed and accuracy of his opponent's serve yet again-

(there might be some new ones on their forum)

10. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    While I'm here I'd like to wish ark Philapousis luck in the final...... GO THE POOOOO......

Do we know who his opponent will be?
  11. Yeah since when did Philopoussis start playing tennis again? lol!

12. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    He's a sport's phychologists wet dream it the POOOOO..... You can always tell how well he is going to play by the level dribble comming out of his mouth. Hewitt is the same. The more distracted they are, the more likely they are to get bungled out by an unknown. When it comes to mind games, you can be your own worse Enemy.

(Cue the some by Lit - I love that riff.....)
  13. darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    The prodigal son andy is going to win the mens. And one of the williams will win the ladies. US dominates one of the oldest sports alive, lol
  14. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Anyone else disappointed with who is in the finals? Kinda boring IMO :meh:
  15. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Because there isn't an American in the final, it's automatically boring? Are you one of those people who only supports your team when they're winning?

I'll admit that having an Aussie in ther makes it a bit more exciting, but I would have watched the final regardless.
  16. I find tennis boring anyway. *shrugs* That and Football. Not my cup of tea.

Cricket... now cricket on the other hand..

17. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Thanks Merls. Now we're going to get all the Americans wanting to know what Cricket is:-

Ok here's the simple explaination.......

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

Each man that's in the side that's in goes out,

And when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been
    in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out. When a man goes out to go in,
    the men who are out try to get him out,

And when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.

There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they
    decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides
    have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are
    not out, that is the end of the game! Whoever has the most runs wins. Simple!
  18. Not this time, not in the Men's at least. And who the heck cares about women's tennis? It's so predictable...how many of us would have said it would be a Venus Vs Serena final? I certainly did two weeks ago.
  19. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As a former hard-hitter, and I mean HARD , I think the present state of pro tennis, particularly on the men's side, is so sad. Agassi, godblessim, who walks like a duck with a stick in its ass, is still a dominant figure because the male competition is so poor. Boris Becker looks like an Ecstasy-dealer in a clown suit, these days.

Phillipoussis looks like he might make it great again. Andy is just too much of a stocky midget to get anywhere in terms of perennial dominance. He's more worried about wearing his cap like Fred "The Queen" Durst than how he hits.....yeah, you'd better hit a 130 mph serve if you don't have mad skills on the ground strokes, shorty.

The Venus-flytrap is definitely on the downside of her career because she doesn't take care of her body like she used to..........and how boring is it to see sisters play, anyway???

I hope it will get better once these people just go aweay and appear on late night talk shows.
  20. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Uh the Williams sisters are both American's, are you one of those people that thinks women sports are a waste? ;) My point here is just to not assume...

I think the finals are boring because I don't find the people in the finals exciting to watch. I couldn't care less about where they come from.