1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wimpy G string... is that an amp setting?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stormwriter, Apr 5, 2006.

1. stormwriter

stormwriter

Mar 25, 2005
    I like my bass sound, but the G string is a little thin. I'm playing Iron Maiden type stuff, and my bass sounds like Steve Harris', with the exception of that G string. Its like too trebly, or something. I wonder if i'm supposed to adjust the EQ on the amp to make it more stronger, and less treble-sounding?

2. picknslap

picknslap

Sep 9, 2004
    Manteca
    you could try, that's what I would do.

3. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    you can't eq a single string. what bass are you playing? because the most likely factor is your bass, or your strings, or your pups.

there is no way an amp will amplify different strings at different volumes/eq's unless you have something like manring's hyperbass with quadrophinic pups.

4. what i would do is mess with the guages of strings your playing
    figure out what gives the whole package by figuring out what string sets are good for you. for all you know you could nail that harris sound even better than you are from the experimentation

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'd try tilting your pup(s) a bit.

6. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    +1 on tilting the pickup up on the g string side to get it a little closer to the string.

7. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I always thought my G sounded thin and toppy compared to the others. although it is thinner i couldnt even it out enough.
    once i got my 1210 though it seems to have more body and i feel confident playing it now. seems to have a bit more punch.
    Of course im not sugesting you change your cab but it could help

8. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Just raise the G end of the pickups. Maybe a thicker G if you still have a prob.