Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

win 98 support being stopped

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by soundoholic, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Microsoft is going to stop the support of windows 98 january 16.

So 20% of you out there will have to download a free Operating system and never have another problem again.:D

I actually use windows xp pro. I love it to death.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    there's one way to force Win 98 users to upgrade.....sheesh!

I use XP Pro as well. Not sure what makes it better than XP Home, but the guy I got the 'puter from was all excited for me since it had Pro on it.

-Mike

3. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Eh-we're running Windows 98 now, and instead of upgrading OS i think we're just going to buy a new one as this one has been a major PITA lately. And i don't think it's really worth doing a reformat again. That's all

4. Oh poo.

I gotta pun in a new OS.

Hopefully XP will give me less crap.

5. I use XP Home and love it :D

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I got a laugh when I saw the new "Microshaft Office 2003" was released to only install on Windows 2000 or XP.

Truthfully, Win98 is going to be 6 years old in 2004, I'm glad they cut it off.

(I run WinXP pro, GNU/Debian Linux and MacOS 9.2 here at home)

7. They're cutting off extremely outdated software? Oh no! ;)

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    oh that news brings a tear of joy to my eye.

where i work, we discontinue support for an os 6 months after MS does. no more crappy windows 98!!!! HUZZAH!

9. What about windows ME? It isn't exactly Windows 98 but it's very very similar.

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    *Shudders*

heh, wasn't that MS's marketing scheme...

"Windows Me... It isn't exactly Windows 98, but it's Very Very Similar!"

;) :p

11. This thread made me remember something in a veeery old issue of PC Format (1996?): "and for those of you still using windows 3.11 (yes both of you!)..."

:bassist:

12. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    Whats wrong with 98?
    I, personally, have neverhad any problems with 98.

13. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

My work PC - yes this very beast that I'm typing this message on is still using Win 95.......I have tried getting this PC replaced but to no avail......

So every morning as it gets booted......yeah and then I try to switch it on;)

14. I used Windows 3.1 until around 1998. Yep, still got that computer. A 386 with 33 MHz on turbo (remember old computers and their turbo button?). 500 whole megs of disk space.

15. im on 98 SE right now :(

*kazaa*

ah, win xp pro here i come...

:rolleyes: ;)

16. Nothing, It's probably a good idea to keep an older version around.

Quotes from upcoming windows OS explanation:

* People fear what they don't understand, but Palladium is about securing the PC and protecting your privacy, plain and simple. Microsoft isn't trying to usurp your PC.

** But specially-made Palladium applications and services will offer a range of features of functionality not found in the non-Palladium world, and if the initiative is successful, we'll one day be running only Palladium-based software.

:confused:

http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/longhorn.asp

But this article does say 'Palladium will institute a similar model for PC software, where a trusted execution mode is used for Palladium applications and services and the old, "untrusted" mode is used for legacy code.' So you should be able to run older things on it.

17. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Microsoft quit supporting ME a long time ago. It sucked so much, they quit supporting it before 98. :D

As far as 98, I still run it on an old 233 in my room. Runs like a tank. (slow but strong) The computer has an old cheap ISA modem that kicks the crap out of the V.92 I'm running in my main machine.

18. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I know the feeling. I was running a 286 up until 1999. No hard drive, ran completely on DOS, 1 meg of RAM, ect. I remember the glorious day that my family got a VGA monitor. :D

Before that I had a Laser. (Mac clone) It had this cheesy yellow monochrome monitor. Ahh, the days of pathetically obselete computers. :cool:

19. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That's what I have, too, sound.

It certainly puts my old, wretched, WindowsMe to shame, but I sure miss a wordprocessing capability.

Moreover, the game, Monopoly, comes to mind. :rolleyes:

20. I think my bass needs a turbo button... :bawl: