Win2k Server for recording?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Mar 26, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi everyone, is there any reason not to use the "Server" version of Win2k for recording purposes?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No. You might want to shut down/disable some unnecessary services, but that's it.
    Personally I've found that XP Pro works better for my older system (PIII 800, Intel BX board, Nvidia TNT, M-Audio Delta Audiophile).
  3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Got it. Thanks JMX. Well, stupid me, I went out and spent a couple hundred bucks on an "authorized" Win2k Pro install CD. It was either that or a bootleg version of Server. That's okay, at least this way I won't get in trouble with Mr. Gates (and, I'll be able to get all the upgrades, "if" I want them). Win2k has always been very reliable in my experience, and I got a new mondo computer system (2.8 gHz P4, 1g RAM, 280 gB disk space, etc) to go with it, so hopefully this'll work. I'm just looking for glitch-free recording (using an M-Audio Delta 1010, set to 96/24 for all 8 tracks). If this doesn't do the trick, then it's ProTools time (and in that case I might have to bite the bullet and buy a Mac, which I've been avoiding like the plague - better to stick with the devil you know, etc).
  4. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    That was not a stupid move. In the long run XP will be a much better fit because audio gear will have drivers for XP that will not work as well or at all on W2K Server. Have fun.