'Wind' noise..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chris h, Aug 7, 2002.

1. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Weird one, this. When I turn om my amp, whether going through my pedalboard or not, using any bass, I get a bloody annoying sound. The only way to describe it would be like wind - kinda crackly but completely random strength and intensity. It doesnt happen always by any means, but only when you least expect/want it.

It has happened through several different amps, loads of cables have been changed, different basses, different pedal arrangements, all that stuff. Could it be the wall outlet? or the 'kettle lead' power chord being unsuitable for the job? (it came with the amp, a hartke 3500, so shouldnt be a problem)

The whole thing is a mistery. Perhaps the power in the room is weird (my room is in an extention built a few years ago). By the way, the wierdest thing is that the actual bass sound is left completely intact, no loss of signal as you might expect.

Help soon or im going to be utilising my bass to distroy my wardrobe and possibly myself! AAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggghh....
  2. I'm going to let this post stand for the moment but if it turns out that the "wind" noise is pinpointed in the amp, I'll send it up there.
  3. mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    im not sure what hambone meant, but to me it sounds like some sort of electrical interference, unless your sure the amp is plugged into its very own circuit, with no other electrical devices on it, it (according to FCC things) should accept any interference, from things like airconditioner motors, fans a lot of stuff.... i dont think theres anyway to avoid this... i could be wrong, this could all be B/S but thats my take on it from what you described
  4. Try putting the rig in another room and see if its still there. If it is, try running the amp just by itself, with nothing plugged into it (except the speaker of course twit!). If there is no hum like you mention, plug a lead into it. If there is hum before u plug the lead into it, its either your house or the amp. Take it to a tech and get him to run it.

Still no hum? Plug the bass into it. If it hums like you mention, its the bass. No hum with the bass?

Try plugging in one effect, then the bass, until the hum shows up.

Hambone meant that if its a amp problem, this will be shifted to amps as your rig etc has nothing to do with the setup of your bass. ;)
  5. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Thanks everyone, but there has been an interesting development. After trying the amp at another house, different room, no bass/different bass/ active /passive basses etc, I noticed that the noise only happened on the tube pre-amp pot. when turned right down and solid state was turned up, there was no noise.

So I started the horrible task of ringing round countless stores, repeating the same crap over and over again...
    "I have a HA3500 amp and have found that.... blah blah blah"
    to try and find out if a knackred tube would make this noise (without affecting the bass signal itself). One helpful bloke informed me that it is quite possible the tube could be to blame (a 12ax7 tube) and suggested taking the lid off and replacing it.

I unscrewed the lid using only a tiny swiss army knife, causing my wrist much agony, when I saw the full glory of the sovtek 12AX7 tube. The bloke said 'Its just a matter of pulling it out and slotting a new one in'. I tugged at it enthusiastically but to no avail; the thing wouldnt budge. Well, it wobbled a bit but thats it. So i screwed it all back together. By now it was getting dark outside and my wrist was turning black and almost twice its origional size. (joke, dont worry)

Imagine my surprise then, when I powered it up, plugged into my bass. No noise. I played for about 10 minautes. no noise. maybe the tube needed a wiggle??

Does anyone know anything about replacing tubes in this particular amp? I think its worth doing, especially if the noise comes back. Then I can eliminate a faulty tube from the list of possible problems.

Thanks again for all your help,

6. Uh huh, there was probably a slight build up of corrosion or oxide causing a bad contact to one of the pins on the valve. Probably making it slightly microphonic.

Valves are weird like that, they do come out, just wiggle and pull, wiggle ever so slightly though.

How long have you had the amp? It may be beneficial to change the tube.

Oh yeah i'll move this to amps now.

7. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    The amp is only a few weeks old! I have now changed it and it sounds nice again, no noise. I put a decent tube in this time!

Thanks v much,