1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Winding/installing strings for standard and Eb tuning

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by janbass, Oct 12, 2013.

1. janbass

janbass

Oct 6, 2012
    Hello all! I was wondering if there is a certain way to install and wind strings if you switch between a standard E tuning to an Eb tuning. I find myself going out of tune often when I am in Eb tuning.

2. For a while I was playing in a couple bands , one in E and one in Eb. What I noticed was that when I went to Eb , if I didn't drop the tuning below Eb and bring it up to key , the bass would go out of tune a couple times. After a couple re-tunes , everything seemed OK and I had no more problems till I re-tuned. Standard practice for tuning any guitar is to bring it up to tune , never down. This is because the strings won't completly relax on the nut and the bridge and as they do , the instrument will go slightly out of tune. Making sure I took the tuning down below Eb and then brought it up took care of most of the problem. I didn't have to change anything as far as stringing. I have noticed with both guitars and bass that changing tuning usually will require a re-tune or two (although not as quickly if brought UP to tune) regardless of the technique used to tune them. Hope this helps.

3. yes, what sharkbait said.