1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Winding my own P bass pickups. Help please!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tubestuff, Nov 5, 2017.

1. tubestuff

tubestuff

Aug 14, 2013
    San Pedro, CA
    Hi TB,
    I've successfully wound strat and J bass pups but never P bass.
    My assumptions are:
    1. each coil should be wound to around 5k ohms.
    2. Series wiring is the "Normal" configuration.
    3. One coil has all magnets north on top, one south.
    4. Each coil is wound in the reverse direction of the other.

That's all I could glean from the hallowed TB archives.
    If I missed a thread on this, please point me there?
    Any advice, warnings, noted omissions on my part would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. tubestuff

tubestuff

Aug 14, 2013
    San Pedro, CA
    Anyone? Are my assumptions correct?

3. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Hello tubestuff;

You're not going to get too much of a response here. This Pickups & Electronics sub-forum is mostly about selecting and installing pickups. Not many pickup winders on here.

But, you're on the right track. A DCR of 5K ohms per coil is on the high end; I'd go for 5K turns of wire per coil, which will probably end up more like 4K ohms of resistance. Other than that, that's the formula for a split-coil humbucker P-bass style pickup. The coils can be physically wound in the same direction around the bobbins, as long as you connect the ends so that they operate reversed from each other.

tubestuff likes this.
  4. tubestuff

tubestuff

Aug 14, 2013
    San Pedro, CA
    Duh.. Thanks for pointing out the winding wiring. Should've thought of that. Gracias!

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020