1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WINDING PICKUP PICKUPS LINK AND MUCH MORE

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by luknfur, Apr 25, 2006.

1. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    ampage.org

This is a link Phil Mailloux just posted in another thread that would be very useful for anyone interested in winding pickups and is probably the most useful readily available resource - at least to my knowledge. Among tons of other stuff it has a cool shot of one of Leo's old winders.

Looks like pickups is just a fragment and tons of other info on amps, tubes, etc.

I've stuck it in a seperate thread (hopefully) with a title most guys would use in a search cause it was a tangent in the thread it's located in, which turned out to be a good thing.

Maybe Ivar can get it in the FAQ section but don't want this one to get away.

Good job Phil!

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Consider it done!

Thanks for the link!

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Thank Phil Mailloux, he's the source. In my recall I never saw the link before. Just in a brief skimming of the pickup section alone it looked worthy. As far as I can tell, Phil was the only one who knew about it.

4. kevmc28

kevmc28

Feb 28, 2008
    Somerset, NJ, USA
    I can't find the winding thread. Is it buried on like page 38 of the music electronics forum?

I have a dead maxon humbucker for a mystery jazz bass knockoff probably from Asia in the 70s. And my brother's p-bass clone with a single humbucker, also probably from Asia in the 70s or 80s, may need to be rewound.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Long time since I've been there, in fact seems I've had to search firebottle to get the site at times.

I don't recall a specific thread. What I recall is a forum with lots of threads. Bottom line is that it seemed more a site to learn more about winding pups in general than like a tutorial. There is at least one concise, pic, tutorial site/thread out there but I don't recall where, perhaps even in TB. Maybe even in pup FAQ where there is info on winding pups. Try googling "pickup winding firebottle." Maybe it will pull up a link that will put you in a thread if not the forum head itself.

What little I know about winding basically came from curosity about the process. I quickly determined it wasn't something I would do myself. For one thing it's cheaper and faster to just buy them or have them rewound. It's been posted that Fralin will rewind them starting at $50.

Sometimes you can find the broken winding, and simply unwind it to a length that can be resoldered.

Good luck

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    The Pickup Makers forum is here these days.

7. kevmc28

kevmc28

Feb 28, 2008
    Somerset, NJ, USA
    Thanks for the input, luknfur.

8. Tim Marshall

Tim Marshall

May 26, 2012
    Has any one tryed the bill lawrence j45 jazz neck pickup?