Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Windings...post...grrr...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by old_skool, Jul 2, 2002.

1. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    OK, heres the deal. I went to get my new bridge installed (badassII) at my local music store. I brought a pair of new strings that they could put on after setup. When I get home to play my bass after the bridge was installed I noticed that ther is hardly ONE winding around my B string and so on for each following string. That pissed me off. I would figure a professional would be putting the bridge on my bass and know how to put strings on correctly.

SO, heres my question: Should I be pissed? Should I go in the store and demand a new set or at least a good price on a new set because of the lack of windings. Is the lack of winding even a big deal. I was under the impression that it was for a number of reason, including proper tension. What would you guys do?

Thanks in advance, once again.

2. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Ehhh...

I doubt the windings screw anything up, maybe the tuning, but I really don't know. Sounds to me like he just cut the string too short on accident.

However, you did have him put on the strings...

If it was just the B string replacement you might be able to go in there and ask for a new B string he'll prolly replace it for free.

I dunno, if you want something done right, ya gotta do it yourself. Personally I installed my badassII bridge myself.

3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    This was no accident, all of the strings have hardly one winding on the posts.

I wanted something done right, Thats why I went to a PRO! If I would have put the thing on I could have messed up my bass hardcore.

Sorry, Im not yelling at you. Im just venting a little.

4. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Yeah no prob man, didn't know all of em had less than one winding though.

How bout this, take it back and ask him why he only did one winding, then see what his explanation is.

That's the only thing I can think of since none of the bass gurus are on right now, sorry I may not be much help, but at least it's a reply :p

5. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I would do that but then I would have no argument as to why there should be more windings on. From what I understand is that tesion is very improtant. There is hardly any downward pressure on the string after the nut. I know there are more answeres for this though. Thanks anyway, LPB

6. buy DR's.. they're rather long..

7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Uhm...he´s saying that he had a pro put his bridge on, and also he bought new strings which he let the pro put on also after he had finished with the bridge.
    The "pro" apparently just put hardly one wind around the pegs and then cut the strings.
    This has got nothing to do with buying longer strings Allo :)

8. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    If it bothers you that much, go back to the guy you dealt with and calmy explain your frustrations to him. Tell him that you were under the impression that more windings around the post are better. Maybe he has a good reason for doing what he did (although, I can't think of one). Tell him that you are not satisfied and that you'd like to agree to a solution. Also keep in mind that just because someone's a pro, doesn't always mean they know what the heck they are doing (I work with a lot of managers and supervisors that don't know their arse from page 1)! ;)

Good luck!

9. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Is it also true that without a proper amount of windings that it is more likely for the string to go out of tune?

10. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    go buy some d addarios,only 14 bucks and sound great...and only cut them a little bit.

11. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Have you read any of this? Seriously, have you? I dont think its possible for you to have actually read all of the above and then posted what you did. :rolleyes:

12. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Im kinda confused?Did he just cut the strings too short or put the bridge up too far in order to wrap the strings aroun more than once?

13. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    Without the proper amount of string windings (without a string tree or angled headstock) you won't be able to get enough downward pressure on the strings before they go over the nut. If this is the case, you'll have a lot of fret buzz.

If I were you, I'd get money back for the cost of the strings and for the set up. If the pro didn't know how to properly install strings, that draws doubt that they could properly install the new bridge.

There are plenty of threads about windings and such that will give you more information. But you do have the right to be pissed.

14. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Unless you're using the extra windings to get the proper break angle on the string at the nut (ie. you don't have a string tree or an angled headstock), there shouldn't be more than one or two windings on the post.

15. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    There is no tree for the B and E strings, only the A, D, and G. Thanks a lot guys. Im gunna go complain...nicely.

16. lazybassass

lazybassass

Jan 23, 2002
    Mass
    old skool please tell us what his reason for putting the strings on like that is.

17. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland

No problem ;)

But do tell us what his response was! :)

18. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well, when I called and told Jeremy (one of the younger, but very knowledgeable guys that work there) what was up hes like "What, who put that on there? Bring it down and we will throw a new set on there for ya." So I go down there and sure enough all of the guys at the store are visibly confused as to why there are like that. Apparently the guy that put the deal on there wasnt in today so I couldnt talk directly to him. They were all really cool about it. Jeremy suspects that the guy (JJ or something) screwed up on the first few and followed suit with the rest or just didnt think I would know any better or mind even if I did. I tells ya...

19. Correct me if I'm wrong. You said you bought a pair of new strings for him to put on. A pair to me is just two strings. If he only installed two strings then maybe he was just installing the two new ones the same way the old ones were installed. Could be he thought you wanted the new ones on wrong to match. But if you meant to say set of strings instead of pair then I would say you had a legitimate gripe.