1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Windows 10 upgrade failure.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DWBass, Feb 18, 2018.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

My PC has been trying to upgrade for several months now but keeps failing. Anyone with the same issue? Is there a fix for this?

Paging all IT folks for assistance.............

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Upgrades can fail for many different reasons. To help, we'll need specifics please.
    What error messages are you seeing?
    What operating system is your PC on now?
    Is your current copy of Windows legitimate?
    How are you trying to perform the upgrade?

-Mike

3. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Same here. The automatic update seems to go successfully. No error messages. The computer restarts normally.

Then the next time I use the computer it starts the automatic update process all over again.

Windows 10 Pro (legitimate)
    version - 1709
    O.S. build - 16299.125

4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I'm a Mac guy, except at work where I use PC.

Is it possible that Win10 is 64bit and your processors don't support 64bit architecture?

5. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    You already have Win 10 and it’s trying to update itself? I’ve found this can take HOURS and may appear as though nothing is actually happening. For example it gets stuck at 90% for a long time.

If you’re way behind on updates it might take multiple reboots to get everything.

Make sure you have a solid network connection if on WiFi. Start the update and let it go as long as it needs, like overnight.

6. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I've seen it do successful updates before and it usually takes a couple of hours. This time is no different. Like I said, it appears to be successful and will execute a final restart. When the PC boots up again the update is clearly over. I can check the background to see if the update is running and it isn't.

What's really weird is that I can use the computer several times (I always shut down the computer when I finish using it) without the update trying to start, but then perhaps after 2 or 3 sessions of use, the automatic update will start and it will download all the update files and go through the whole thing again.

7. DWBass

I have Windows 10 already. It's just been trying to apply an update but keeps saying unsuccessful and reverts it back to where it was. The update is performed automatically. The current copy of Windows is legitimate. It was installed by an IT pro. I recall this happening before and I had to download something from Microsoft for it to work. Windows utility is not finding anything.

8. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
  9. Yep.. I had a PC with Windows 7.....there was an upgrade to Windows 10...it did that o.k. but then when Windows came out with their super-duper 10 upgrade after that it wouldn't do it.

It would take about two hours to upload and then when you restarted it would either crash or take another two hours to install...and then it would crash anyway and revert me back to
    my previous 10 install. Couldn't turn off the upgrade. Tried uninstalling the "upgrade assist" and when I did that the whole computer died.

So...went out and bought a new computer with the latest Windows 10 in it. Upgrades are no problem now.

It isn't any faster or better than previous versions even though I upgraded my cable internet speed and my new comp has faster chip in it.

I frequently get mouse "freeze-ups" temporarily.

And my new Windows photo app crashed one day for no reason. Apparently this is common in Windows 10 and there are fixes for it. None of which have worked so far.

10. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    On the threshold of a verge on the brink.
  11. DWBass

12. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    On the threshold of a verge on the brink.
    I’d heard that some PCs had more problems than others. HPs in particular would have problems with the Fall Developers Update.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Ahhh, got it.
    Which update is it trying to install?
    We had some problems with 1709, the Creators Update, across our customer base a few months ago.
    We had to clear out some folders and restart a couple services, then they went along just fine.

-Mike

Stumbo likes this.
  14. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Keep safe my TB brethren!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    Are you on a wifi or wired internet connection?

I connect direct to my router with my HP PC and everything seems to work faster/better.

I suggest you contact Microsoft support directly for assistance if you have auto-Update.

15. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Keep safe my TB brethren!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    How did you know what to do?

16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Suspended Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Some computers are not ready for it. I have a Sony Vaio that is on that list. (Yes, I'm that nerd that actually checked with the Sony web site before allowing the update.) One thing I learned in electronics school and ALWAYS check with the manufacturer of the computer FIRST.

So I actually had to call Microsoft and was on hold for almost an hour. Then I had to have a tech at Microsoft take over my computer (remote access) and change about ten settings to force stop the attempts to load Windows 10.

17. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    There would appear to be an issue with the Win 10 Update and devices with SSD's.

It renames the previous Windows version as "Windows 10 Old", and then writes a new Windows 10 folder. A number of devices only have a 32Gb storage, so having 2 copies of the OS on the same disk forfeits too much disk space and so the update "fails".

18. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Indeed, I went through this recently. I don't remember exactly what I did, but I just followed the step-by-step at the Microsoft website, and now it updates just fine. There's a point where it asks you if you want to remove the old Windows version, to make space.

19. 32 TB is barely enough space these days.

20. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Feb 4, 2013
    jammin
    I know next to nothing about PC's, my computer rig is probably a mule sending out millions of spam emails to India as I write this.
    Keep the faith!

I have a pretty inexpensive Dell computer that somehow upgraded flawlessly from windows 8 and has been running fine for a long while. I have no idea what I did right.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018