Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Windows isn't letting me record anything

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Captain Awesome, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    OK, I'm running a PC with Windows 98, and suddenly I can't record anything on my computer now, no matter what software I'm running. I have a mic plugged in, and the Windows volume controls are set right... if I turn up the volume on my speakers I can hear the mic, so I know it's not a bad connection. Everything used to work fine, but now it just won't recognize the mic, or anything else for that matter, as a recording source (I get total silence) Does anyone know what could be wrong and how I could fix it?

2. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Have you tried rebooting?

3. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Yeah, many times.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Reinstall the soundcard driver.

5. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    OK, I fixed it using the driver software. My "sound card" is just a chip on the motherboard that can only accept one recording source at a time. I think I'll need to get a real sound card at some point.

6. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I recommend the Midiman Audiophile 2496, ca. 200$.

Stay away from Creative Labs. They suck at audio recording - and that's a proven fact.

7. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Cool, I'll check it out. Are cards like that dedicated to recording/monitoring/playback or can they also be used for other computer functions?

8. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It depends on how serious you want to go at it.
    If you plan to use (semi-)pro software like Cubase or Logic, you should get a card with ASIO drivers and good converters, like the Audiophile.