Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

windows media player....OF DOOM

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gia, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    my windows media player is, to put it simply, buggered.

i've tried reinstalling it time and time again, but it just won't open!
    i have a lot of music on there in wma format that i've copied from cd to the computer.

so my question is, does anyone know how to either fix my windows media player, find the tracks, or convert all my wma files into mp3?

help me before i kill myself due to lack of music.

Gia.

2. Which version are you using? The new one with SP2 (i.e. WMP10)? And are you trying to reinstall it on top of a previous installation, or have you been uninstalling and then reinstalling?

3. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    i am using the version which came with windows 98.

i'm scared to uninstall it because i don't want to lose all the music i have on it :(

however i have downloaded all the upgrades, but i don't think they're making a difference since the player won't open to upgrade itself.

4. Uninstalling it won't erase all the music you have ripped and downloaded. That's completely separate from the player, plus you more than likely have them in a completely separate and exclusive folder.

I'd first try uninstalling the player, rebooting and then going to www.windowsmedia.com and downloading the latest version you can use. Should be Version 10 if your using XP, and 8 (I think) for WinME and 98.

If that fails, I can't really think of anything else, besides possibly a reinstall of Windows, but that can tend to be a pain in the @$$.

5. Oh man, this thread isn't what I was hoping it would be...

Maybe try going into the files the music is saved under and right clicking of a saved song and going ot open with... then change it to something else and see if you can get that to work, it should. If not you can change it back by doing the same thing. Though I guess you should still try to get W.M.P. to work anyways so do that :p

6. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Uninstall WMP, then download and install the latest version. You won't lose your files.

7. ..........did you read John Deppel's post? He said that already. I might have agreed with it, but atleast I gave another way of trying to get the music to work :rolleyes:

;)

8. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Yeah, I read it, and I was agreeing with him.

9. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Real Player will also play WMA files, but Real Player is a hassle, with all the hidden runtime files.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    If you still cant get it to work you might want to try downloading iTunes. Just find where your files are saved and tell iTunes to use that folder.

I find iTunes easier to use and I know it can be used to convert to MP3.

11. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Have you ever used a spyware program like Ad Aware, and removed the "windows media unique ID"?

12. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Hey Gia,

I am actually trying to transfer all my WMA's into MP3. I have about 4'000 WMA's so it will take awhile.

You can use itunes to transfer wma to mp3. when you go to the top and select "add folder" or something like that it will say that there are wma's in the folder and will ask if you would like to convert them.... Now what happens on my PC is that the WMA's have some kind of "lock" on them so you cant convert them with itunes. By the way DOWNLOAD Itunes! Its really 10xxxxxx better than Windows Media Player... (my opinion)

So go to download.com and download this program: dBpowerAmp Music Converter 10.0

its freeware so you wont be asked to pay anything. In addition you need to download a WMA codec so it can convert them easily. Its written in the help. If you need anyhelp just post and i can get back to you.

After its installed you can highlight the WMA's and right click with the mouse and press "convert to" and voila! you can choose to convert to MP3 with no problems at all.

Hope that helps....

PS:I wouldnt continue to use WMA... Download itunes, and in the preferences make sure you say to rip the cd's in MP3 format.

M

13. my win98 pc had the same exact problem with wmp, i never found a fix for it, ended up getting new computer so i didnt worry about it.

14. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    i gave up on Windows media player A LONG time ago. i now use WinAmp, and their new version rocks. plus its free! (well. there is a free version)

www.winamp.com

(FWIW, i just started using mozilla to browse. at this rate, i will be on linux by the end of the year. :D )

15. winamp and mozilla all the way man!

16. Mplayer2.exe owns.. thats all your gonna need..

or winamp 2

17. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Winamp 5.03 is the daddy, yo.

If you want a copy of the full version IM me and ill give you a link to where you can pay legally and propperly for it. Or something.

18. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    thanks guys!! i shall try to uninstall and and reinstall it tonight :)

i may get i-tunes as well, but since i'm on a 56k it will be a bitch to download. but if it converts to mp3..........:D

19. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  20. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    WinAmp is great. Musicmatch is good too, i use that when i need to do the serious work, but its too bulky and cant handle my collection as well as Winamp can.