1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

windows media player question.........

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Aug 21, 2007.

1. So I'm with the newest version of media player, like I've been for a while. I'm planning on getting a new external hard drive (which I'm hoping works out fine;I'd hate to lose a lot of information) to shove all my video files onto. I see there's a "sync" option, and it vaguely describes it as a feature used to move data onto a portable storage device. a USB drive would count fine right? I've got probably 30 gigs to work with moving out.

any brand of external hard drives with a good amount of storage space that are prettymuch guaranteed to not crap out?

2. You do not need to use WMP to sync anything to your External Hard Drive.

I am assuming you are using Windows, which means that you will just be able to Drag and Drop and files you have, and copy them right onto the external hard drive. All of that right in Windows Explorer, no need to use any programs or anything.

Me myself, I went to BestBuy recently for a new External HardDrive and got one of the Western Digital My Book Essential 320GB's (7200rpm and 16mb cache if you're a tech geek like myself) for $100 even. My brother has a similar WD one for over a year now with no issues. I especially like mine so far, and it doesn't bother me at all that it only has USB2 and no FireWire. Firewire is not that much faster, and I am more comfortable using USB anyway.

I hope I have been a help, feel free to PM me.

3. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    The sync option is for transferring data, music, etc. to an mp3 player or PDA. You wouldn't use it to transfer data to another drive.

+1 on the Western Digital drives. Very solid and reliable.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Dell has 500GB Western Digital external drive for $103
    (per slickdeals.net: "$114.75 - 10% when you pay with paypal = $103 with free shipping")

bc

5. true, the only reason I wanted to do it tho was because I was hoping I could get away from the task of organizing my "library" in WMP as opposed to just trying to find every file from every folder and then moving them into the ext HD and then having to go back and find every file and folder and delete them all.

I'm hearing good things about western digital and maxtor

6. Normally I would have given Maxtor a big +1, but they had merged (or been bought out) by Seagate, who does make good HDD's usually, but I just haven't felt assured enough to buy one ever since I heard that news.

7. Trevor.A

Trevor.A

Jan 2, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    Seagate makes some good, cheap external drives. Best hard drives on the market IMO