Windows Media Player

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fleckbass211, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Fleckbass211

Mar 20, 2003
    My Room
    This program is the main source of havoc for my computer. Any mp3 it will slur ( even all my legal ones) after one second and will constandly bug you if you do not use it as your default.

I finally have my winamp so I can listen to my music at the right octaves and I disabled all of the popups from Microcrap.
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah WMP is nothing special, but I just heard that WMP 9 codecs are going to be released open-source, so that could be good news depending on where people take them.
  3. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Im having a hard time with that as well as any other type of media player right now.

Any time I try to play media files it it video or audio the entire systym freezes.
  4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    Yeah, that's been happening to me alot lately, not so much with Windows Media Player, but with Real One Player...

No Movies will work on Real One at all
  5. WMP gives me the s***s! Every movie i play in it... it skips and jumps and races ahead of itself. Yet in Winamp the movies play clear and smooth... *shakes head*

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  7. im having this problem too... especially with divx files...

*downloads and tries winamp* ill get back to ya on whether or not it helps...
  8. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Ive been having it happen with windows media player & winamp.
  9. The problem I had was some files the sound wouldn't work.
    I had to down load the nemo codecs.
    How ever On one machine It didn't fix the problem.
    It will play most files but then other it plays with no sound.
    I think there is a codec file I need that for some reason did not install on that machine.
  10. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    pity you windows must suck.

I'm stuck on it for dialing out, only because I'm to cheap to buy a real modem though, and linux doesn't like WINmodems. Someday, soon, I'll be rid of that nasty virus; winblows.

11. My Media player is good, nothign bad ever happens to it.
  12. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    every time i try to watch .avi files, it always tries to download the codec, but there is an error every single time i try... isn't .avi a windows movie format??? (or is that.wmv)

can anyone give me some linkage of some good codecs???

13. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  14. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    are you people that are hacing problems with Media Player running XP. I have always had problems with windows period until XP . It is amazing. I heard Media Player 9 was quite good and even comes with a 5.1 encoder which is a very expensive comodity.

I personally can hear a difference between Winamp, Media Player, and Real Player. I think real player sounds better out of them, plus I like the feature that tells you about the artists.
  15. Yeah i HAD XP until the heiarchy here didnt like it and wanted 98 SE back.. :rolleyes:

The video quality on my machine with 98 sucks. It never used to until we got a new comp and i had 98 put on there. With XP everything was excellent.

16. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I run media player 9 on XP and it kicks winamp3's rear. I never use winamp any more, winamp was unstable, and media player never crashes on me. The only problem I have is that some movies encoaded with I think it is with the XVID codec run a little choppy, but they work fine in the divx player. I think I need to mess around with the codecs. but for 99% of my usage Media player 9 rules. Plus you really can't beat it's little minamized thingy. :D
  17. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany