1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Windows Vista experts q?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DWBass, Mar 20, 2009.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm trying to record something off the internet and in XP and previous OS's, there was an internal mixer to choose from. Seems Vista just has an internal mic only to choose from! What gives? Am I doing something wrong?

2. Nappa

Nappa

Dec 20, 2006
    Fargo,North Dakota
    Let see if this works?

start->all programs->accessories->sound recorder

Or is this what you were seeing before?

3. I think it depends on the drivers for your soundcard.

I have an old creative card and the 1st edition drives have the "what you hear" record mode, but lacked actual mic functionality...

There newer drivers lack the "what you hear"recording =/

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The Sound Recorder works as well as Audacity. But there is no option to record from the internal mixer. Only through the mic. Not even a Line In option! My OS is Vista Home Premium.

5. Kevin is right.

All the functionality of your sound card is in the drivers. Out of curiosity I'm updating my driver so see if I get anymore out of it.

I have Vista Ultimate 64bit. I went to the control panel and I only have a slider for volume and one for windows sounds. I also have a tab for recording when clicking on "Sound" where there are two mic inputs, a line input and a SPDIF input. It seems I don't have control over anything because nothing is plugged in at the moment.

The driver is listed as Microsoft even though I have Realtek on-board audio. (Realtek Hi-Def audio)

I went to the Realtek website and they had an up-to-date drive for my operating sytsem, only a couple months old. Going to the device manager confirmed the driver update.

Now I have an icon in my system tray. There is a the "Realtek HD audio Manager" which gives me a lot of control over things like speaker configuration, room correction, special effects, and a couple of formats for CD, and DVD.

On this "audio manager" I had and advanced setting which gave me an option to "tie up same typed of inputs" or "separate types of inputs". Default was "tie up", so I changed it to separate.

Now when I go to the control panel/Sound (not adjust volume, which brings up the mixer) then click on the recording tab I have functionality on all the inputs. I can click on each input and there are level sliders for each. Mic level, input, etc.

So, in short, they changed things and the inputs don't show up in the mixer anymore. I prefer the old way myself. Go to Control panel. Click on "Sound" (in bold next to the speaker icon) and there should be a tab for recording. That will list all your inputs.

If the inputs seem to be grayed out and you can't click on them, like me you will probably have to update from the Microsoft sound driver. Find out what kind of sound card or onboard audio, go to the manufacture and download the lasted driver for your sound card.

To check your driver go to control panel and click on the device manager. Click on the sound, audio tab and from there you should see your audio device listed. Right click and choose properties. click on the driver tab. If the provider says Microsoft and no the actual manufacture of the sound card you will probably want to update it.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'll try that. Thanks. Funny, There is only the option of using the mic only. There is nothing else in the list! I have an older laptop with XP on it. I'll most likely use that one. I can't wait for the next generation MS OS since Vista seems like it's headed the way of Windows ME. I didn't think anything was wrong with XP. They could have just updated it.

7. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Windows Vista expert? Isn't that an oxymoron?

8. They all switched to mac a year ago.

lowsound