Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Windows vs. Macs

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    im not asking for your personal opinion...

i just want to know how they stand up against each other

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Hack attacks don't affect MACs!

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    If you are into games, then macs can't compete simply because not a lot of GAME developers make games for them.

that may change in a couple months as the g5 and OS X are great development environments, and many companies are giving macs a second look and liking what they see.

PCs are cheaper generally, it's easy to make your own Parts-PC, and likewise upgrade in the future.

Apple has the advantage of providing "the whole widget" in that, they make their OS, a lot of great software and the hardware. they generally have great support, and fewer problems all together(unless you just switched and are trying to run your mac like a PC*)

Macs are generally more expensive, but imo you really pay for what you get, though they certainly could be a little cheaper in some places.

A common misconception with apple products is that they are exuberantly overpriced, but that's not entirely true, the g5 desktops are high end workstations, they are not designed for the average computer user, Apples consumer offerings are generally pretty cost effective solutions, especially considering they give you just about every piece of software you need.

Apple refuses to ship multi-button mice. This is a hot topic, on the one hand, a basic user doesn't need more than one button, but on the other hand the rest of the world uses multiple buttons.
    That's not to say there aren't GOBS of multi button mice, just 3rd party

Apple has a great design sense....this might not mean a lot to some people, but it is something to consider, apple products are simply beautiful, but they are also functionally beautiful, for the most part.

OS X currently has NO viruses out to get it, that's a big plus, and it's UNIX based, meaning it is incredibly web and network friendly. Not to mention stable.

Windows XP, has many nice features, and is the most stable windows I've ever used.

At the end of the day It really doesn't matter which computer you want to use, there are advantages to both platforms, but most of them are negligible, Switching from mac to PC is hard just as switching from PC to mac is hard, there are things to be gained either way.

I don't see any reason to have a PC other than games, so I stick with my mac, because I don't play many computer games.

I hope this thread doesn't become a mindless "no macs suck durrrr" or whatever thread.
    PLEASE people if you only want to say "macs suck" or "pcs suck" and not give any back-up or support for that claim that isn't heavily biased, don't post here.

* I notice a lot of people who switch to macs have a hard time coming to grips with a system that just works. A lot of times I see people that have always been PC users, expecting to find problems, and working on their mac as though it will be a big hassle to fix anything, and when the solution is actually fairly simple, it easily eludes them and then they get frustrated and thinks macs are impossible.

The best advice I can give to someone thinking about trying mac OS X out is that A LOT of things really are THAT easy, sometimes the simplest and most logical solution is the best one, AND while both Operating systems have borrowed and stole much over the years, they are quite different beasts.

4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    WR- thanks a million for your input, i only posted this thread because i am thinking of switching from PC to Mac cuz my friends dad is offering to build me one for free (he works for Apple so he gats all the parts for free)

and please, along the lines of WR...post actual meaningful posts...not just "macs/pcs suck because i use the other one!"

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Some of those software solutions I talked about that apple makes.

their "iApps"

~iTunes(digital media player/encoder/converter...etc.)

~iPhoto(digital camera and picture organizer)

~iCal(calendar)

~iMovie(simple but pretty powerful movie editing software)

~iChat(AIM compatible messaging program...new version has video chat)

~Textedit(simple word processing, great if you don't have Word*)

~Safari(powerful and FAST web browser)

~Preview(picture viewer)

~address book(pretty capable address book, syncs with iChat and iCal)

~Stickies(post-it notes for your desktop)

~Mail(fairly powerful POP mail program, can be modded to use HTTP mail)

The reason I bring these up is because it's a big thing that makes the mac-experience so cool.

all these programs come with a new computer, so right out the box you pretty much have everything you need.

and there is still thousands and thousands of 3rd party apps, and big name brand apps available.

because a lot of windows PCs are decentralized and random mis matching parts, you don't get software suites like this, and when you DO they rarely work very well**

*MS word is available for OS X it's REALLY good too

** in my experience.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    There is no spoon.

How many rolleyes can I put in a post I wonder?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The better computer is the one that blows your skirt up.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well...the g5 blows a guy out of his house in the commercial.

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I said "blows your skirt up" not blows your legs off. :D The word "blow" as appeared many times in a short space, I sure hope no one makes any inappropriate jokes. :eek:

9. via satellite

via satellite

Sep 16, 2003
    Well, all I can go on is my personal experience. I've had macs and pcs, both desktops and laptops, and have not found switching between them to be difficult.

I adore my titanium powerbook. It is a computer pimp. And itunes...and all the other nice little programs. But I wish I could play Tropico on it...

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    you saying it doesn't run well or hrm? tropico 1 is available for macs, don't know about 2.

real bummer, as I mentioned I'm not much of a computer gamer but there are some games now and again that I wish made it to mac. oh well.

11. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    Very well said! I've been a PC guy for the better of 15 years, from building to networking. Recently though, I have found myself looking into a Mac G4, because the prices have dropped considerably since the new G5's came out. I do digital based recording in a small project studio I built, and the only way I can see to keep pleasure away from work (the studio) is to install a Mac where I'm not going to try and install games on it or surf the net. I'll keep my networks and PC's for that. Do you have suggestions? It seems there's tons of different G4's out there, and I haven't got a clue of what to even look for.

Sorry don't mean to Hi-jack your thread, but this is something I happen to be dealing with at the moment. :D

~Cheers~

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

Allow me to direct you to a great apple reseller.

www.smalldog.com

they specialize in refurbished gear, but they also stock competitively priced new and used stuff.
    no sales tax, and I think they have free shipping(forget offhand)

Pretty much anything will do, just get a lot of RAM ;)

13. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Actually the idea that Mac's "just work" isn't really true based on my experience. We support a lot of people with OSX at my work and we get plenty of MAC related problems where things break etc. In my experience neither current Windows (XP or 2000) or Mac's are more error prone than the other...

14. I prefer to run linux on a PC to either of the other two options.

Really though, it is personal preference. Macs are slick machines, but they are more expensive and are geared towards a slightly different buyer than a PC is, in general.

Geoff

15. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    I'm just happy that they finally came out with a stable OS for Mac. I've been using OSX for about 9 months now, and I am so happy with it.

I'd actually really like to hear more about your experiences, Jared. I'm running a 500 Mhz G3 DV+ iMac and I've never had the computer crash on me and never really had any one application crash on me except maybe the Safari beta a couple times.

Jaguar is a godsend.

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

I'm on a 500 MHZ DVSE represent! what what hollah :D :p ;)

17. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well honestly I don't deal with them myself because I am not a mac guy. If we get a complaint or a problem there are two other guys that handle it. It happens pretty often too, but then again we have a large number of people we help on campus. I'm not saying anything bad about them at all, in fact I'd love to have an OSX laptop, but I think windows is just as good if you know what you are doing (as far as being able to lock it down).

18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

yup.

19. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    It's like comparing Apples and lemons. Oops, I mean oranges! ;)

Let's see... let's put it in terms of how you define "freedom." I am a Mac type, but I'll *try* to be objective...

If you want freedom to select from a great many choices when it comes to hardware and software, go PC. If freedom, to you, means that you can build or easily modify your own machine and pick up parts for it at a shop around the corner, and decide to spend more for good parts or less for budget parts, go PC. If freedom means that you are have the greatest level of compatibility with other users, go PC.

On the other hand, if freedom means that you have a machine that puts a premium on being elegantly simple, straightforward, reliable and powerful, then go Mac. If freedom means that you are free to select perihperals and software from a smaller pool, but with fewer worries about whether they will be compatible or straightforward in installation, go Mac. If you are not a 'power user' but just a hapless prole, and want freedom from the fear that your machine will sit unused because you can't figure out what's wrong with it, go Mac. If freedom means virtual freedom from viruses, spyware, adware, and all manner of junkware, go Mac. If freedom means freedom from Microsoft, by all means, go Mac.

Okay... I tried to be somewhat objective. Cheers!

:)

20. Macs confuse me to hell.

But Windows piss me off to hell.

I need Linux.