1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Windows won't open any .exe file?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, May 17, 2011.

1. Was on my main PC and AVG pops up, nasty file found, asks if I want to move it to the Virus Vault, I move it, and now none of the .exe files on the computer will open, now, whenever clicking on a .exe file, I get the Windows "Open With" window.

The file that got picked up was "NVL.exe" and it seemed to be moved to the Virus Vault without issue, but a few seconds later the plugin-container.exe crashed. Trying to open Firefox just didnt work, but iexplorer was fine. At first I thought it may have just been firefox bugging, so I reset the PC and now none of the applications will open.

I'm kinda stuck on what to do now, because I can't run my AV!

Any tips from the computer experts?

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Boot it in safe mode and see if you can run .exe files. If so run Malwarebytes in safe mode.

3. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    Safe mode is probably you're best bet man.

The plugin.exe is a firefox exclusive run file (I think). I'm not sure as to why everything else won't boot.

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    After you run malwarebytes, you may be able to open .exe files in normal mode. If so, download and run hitman pro. If you have a rootkit, hitman pro is pretty effective in detecting and curing.

5. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    Another good one to try is combofix, kinda like that one (Download it ONLY from bleep~)

6. Georynn

Georynn

Dec 4, 2007
    Memphis,Tn
    If none of that works... try this

7. Would loosing the .exe file association be a problem throughout a computer, or could it only affect a single profile?

In safe mode, ran AVG (command prompt) and nothing popped up. Created a new profile in safe mode, changed my standard profile to a limited one, making the new one an admin.

In the new profile, I can open .exe files, running full AVG right now. I can also install other AV's, as this is an admin account, it'll pick up anything on another profile, right?

One oddity, in the infected profile, I was able to open internet explorer by using a shortcut to an internet page.

8. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Malwarebytes in not AV it is for malware etc. AVG will not fix this. Spybot, Malwarebytes, rootkitbuster etc. Make sure you run the update after the install for Malwarebytes.

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Run malwarebytes, superantispyware, and hitman pro. They will find things that antivirus does not detect.

10. I had one of these and just did a system restore to a previous date, problem fixed.

11. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Nope. The files will still be there but just dormant. It may seem to work fine but the infection still resides on the machine. That will just fix whatever DLL got infected.

Run malwarebytes and I bet it finds the infection.

12. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Mac lovers in 3, 2...

13. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I never understood the Ford vs. Chevy debate of Mac users and windows users. Of course, I never understood Ford vs. Chevy debates either.

14. It's been months and I've been fine since.

15. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
  16. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    On of the problems with using system restore to repair virus infection is that system restore stores files without making sure they are clean and can reinfect your system. I would clear out the restore folder.

17. Say hello to Linux/Mopar.

18. Are file associations different for each user or would it be the same throughout the whole system?

Should scanning from a different account, with admin rights, cover the entire computer?

Cheers guys

19. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Probably depends on the anti-malware program. Malwarebytes will scan all accounts (running from an admin account); however, I'd scan each account, especially the infected one, for "leftovers". I don't think it will scan the registry hives of the other accounts.