Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Windows XP forces TB Exile

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by malthumb, Oct 14, 2002.

1. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    My wife (IT Manager at a major corp) has installed Windows XP on our computers at home. This has improved our connectivity and productivity greatly BUT....

I can not post to Talkbass or The Alembic Club from home. :( :mad: :(

I always get a llllloooooonnnnngggg delay and then a system message that the requested page cannot be accessed.

I can read both forums and download from both forums, but I can't post to either, except from work. Except for days like this week where most of our senior executive staff is out of the country, I don't have time at work to surf, let alone post.

So, until my resident IT princess can figure it out, I'll be lurking silently.

Oh, I can receive and send PM. Just can't post to threads. Go figure.

Peace,

James

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Uggggh.... sorry to hear that. When I upgrade my PC (currently running Win98), I'm going for Win2K, and *not* XP.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Why? I've been running XP for a year with no issues. My machine is on 24/7 and rebooted about ever 2 to 3 weeks on average (usually for updates and power outages)... and I use it hard.

as far as the no post issue in XP, a PM and a post are similar in process and nothing that should flag security. I love and hate the oddball issues. challenging yet annoying :)

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've heard of something similar.

I've got XP at home, and have no problems with TB, or The Dudepit.

My girlfriend, however, has a forum that she frequents that has a format identical to TB, and she can't access it from home. So, if you figure out what the problem is, be sure to let me know so we can try it for her.

Other than that, we love XP. It was annoying at first (Quicktime didn't want to work, had to get new drivers for some older stuff, etc), but now that I've been running it for close to a year, I love it. I've had one system crash in the last year, and it was because I tried to install some old software that wasn't XP compliant.

Having DSL to download the frequent security updates doesn't hurt, either. ;)

5. I've been reccomending 2k over XP since it came out, but this Service Pack that's come out recently seems to have ironed out a lot of the kinks. I haven't had enough time on it on my own test mules to begin reccomending it to others, but it seems vastly improved...

--jeff

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    sounds like some kind of firewall issue to me - do you have any software firewalls running? whatever it is, the problem's probably with ie and not xp.

7. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    We thought it was firewall, too. So we turned 'em off (both the one that's resident in XP and the 3rd party software we installed). No change. I've also tried to access over DSL and over analog line. No change. Also tried using IE, AOL, & Navigator. Zippo.

The funny thing is I thought the firewall would be more effective at keeping things from newsgroups from coming into my computer. I can download anything and have no problem accessing TB. I just can't send anything out. Except PMs.

Thanx for the suggestions guys, keep 'em coming. Anything we haven't already tried, we'll try.

Peace,

James

EDIT: We're experiencing this on 3 different pcs where the only thing common to them is XP.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

what do you use to share the connection? I'd dig deeper into your access point.

9. shakeyeraz

shakeyeraz

Aug 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    It is best to use Windows Update to ensure that you have the latest patches/fixes/versions of Win XP, IE, etc. Take all of the critical updates that are listed and look for IE updates as well. Service Pack 1 was just released and is highly recommended.

Once you get through this, try it again. You can also set the defaults on IE 6 for security, etc. this is in the Tools/Internet Options menu.

Microsoft states that XP Home was designed specifically for home use and, as such, it is much more friendly for home computer system configurations that are likely to occur. For example, sound cards, graphics cards, cameras, etc - those devices that are not usually found in the workplace. Windows 2000 Pro is intended for the business environment.

Good luck.

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    We tried the whole firewall thing, too with this other forum, to no avail.

11. I've had nothing but good luck running Win2k on a whole pile of home machines, many uses for gaming stuffs...

--jeff

12. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I've been running XP Pro now for about 6 months and I like it better than most of the Microsoft tripe I've tried over the years. Only thing is, I haven't been able to burn a CD since I upgraded from ME! Music, data, whatever. No burning for me. And no one seems to be able to figure out why. I will probably be changing to Win 2K for that reason. ME was a piece of s**t but at least I could burn a damn CD!:confused:

13. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    PC1: Not connected to the other two. Access to net is analog phone line. Had Win 98 before Win XP for Home.

PC2: DSL access. Can network with PC3. Had Win ME before Win XP for Home.

PC3: Net access by DSL via network w/ PC2 or by analog phone line when not networked. Was delivered with Win XP for Home.

PC2 and PC3 network via Intel Anypoint.

Peace,

James

14. what burning software are you using?

if you use Nero 5.5 or newer it shouldn't be a problem. the newest Easy Cd Creator should also work. and there's an update(iirc) for the xp integrated burning software available on windows update.

15. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Easy CD Creator 5, which is supposed to work with XP. I can't burn with Windows Media Player's built-in burning software either. I have downloaded all the updates as they come available. Also I tried Nero and it didn't work either! I have a Yamaha CRW2100E burner.
    I've been seriously considering a Mac.:(

16. shakeyeraz

shakeyeraz

Aug 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Have you updated the device driver from the Yamaha web site?

What error message(s) do you get when you try to burn them?

I am running XP and use Win Media (latest version) and Win Explorer (file copy/backup) and both work fine.

17. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    First you all should note that I'm not a computer geek, so be easy on me!

Here's something interesting (or not): I go to the cd-rw drive via My Computer. I right click on the drive, then click properties and under the "General" tab it says:

Type: CD Drive
    File System: Unknown

hmmmmmm......

And yes under the "Recording" tab in Properties, the "Enable CD recording on this drive" box is checked.

18. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    INEAL: Did you have a previous verion of EasyCD Creator installed, that you later removed or updated to EasyCD Creator 5? If so, check out this link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315345
    Hell, go through that article anyway, to make sure those files or registry keys aren't present.

The problem described in that article doesn't exactly match what you're experiencing, but has worked for many CD burning issues.

This one may help, too: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316529

MALTHUMB: Start off with this to make sure the problem isn't with a program or service running in the background.
    Start --> Run --> MSCONFIG.
    Chose Selective Startup, and disable WIN.INI, SYSTEM.INI and Load Startup Items.
    Go to the Services tab at the top, check the box at the bottom that says "Hide all Microsoft Services", then disable all remaining services in the upper window.
    Apply --> Close, then restart.
    Try to post again.

If you CAN post, then use the same process to again to start enabling items one by one in MSCONFIG. If you CAN'T post, then you know it's not a program or 3rd party service causing the problem. You can then start looking into other things, like problems with IE, Java (not sure if this page uses Java or not), etc.

19. hmm, I just installed(today) the same burner on my pc and it worked perfectly right away with Nero 5.5.

It also worked perfectly on the pc it was in before I got it. Both are XP pcs.

20. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    INEAL: Without a disk in the CD-RW drive, Windows cannot know what type of file system is present on that drive. It could be CDFS, UDF, etc.

Put a disk in the drive, then do that. Definitely try the article I posted above.