Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Windows XP Keyboard Problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Aug 21, 2005.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Maybe someone will have answer for this. I logged on to the computer this morning and for some reason, I've found that hitting certain keys puts incorrect characters on the screen.

For instance, hitting the dash (next to 0), gives a '-

Hitting delete gives 00

and hitting the equals sign in a browser makes the cursor go up to the address bar.

I've tried rebooting and windows restore but they don't work. Is there anything else I can try or am I going to have to buy another keyboard if this one is permanantly messed up?

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    OK, it can be two things,

First of, go to Start-Settings-Control Panel-Regional Settings and make sure that everything there is set to what's it's supposed to be set at. I assume English (US) or something like that.

If everything there is OK, try a virusscan.

I´ve seen computers infected with a virus which do strange things when you type in letters.

3. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Actually now it's not doing it. I went away from the computer for a bit, came back and it was fine. Strange :)

4. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    [​IMG]

5. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    oh man *lmao*

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    LOL looks like my girlfriend typing...in motion and anger only.

7. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    She's a looker ;)

8. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Well my keyboard is fried. The problem came back worse than ever. I downloaded a program that analyzes the keyboard output and shows that the keyboard is acting like multiple keyes are being pressed. Here is what this message would look like if I didn't edit anything (thank god backspace and the 2nd enter still work).

Well mh6y keyboard is fried. Tmh6e problemh6 camh6e back worse tmh6an evg5er. I downloaded a provg5ramh6 tmh6at analyz`es tmh6e keyboard output and smh6ows tmh6at tmh6e keyboard is actinvg5 like mh6ultiple keyes are beinvg5 pressed. MH^ere is wmh6at tmh6is mh6essavg5e would look like if I didn\'-t edit anytmh6invg5 (tmh6ank vg5od backspace and tmh6e 2nd enter still work).

9. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Yo^u 6kn)w, th2atv w*6oucld dr5viv^e me6 Hup6 a walMl.

:smug:

10. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Omh6, believg5e mh6e, it is!

11. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Alright, new keyboard! I can type now :D

12. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Did you spill anything on the keyboard at all? I know when a little bit of Dr Pepper got in my keyboard it would change the keys. For instance - became /. it sucked cause i was running dos and all my keys were different.

13. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    No, but it collected crumbs and dust and the usual crap. But I would always clean it out. A new keyboard was only $30 so I'm not questioning it too much. I actually like the new one better.