Windows XP Registry Backup Questions

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nino Valenti, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    OK, I did a search and I didn't really find what I was looking for.

OK, so the other day, I ran my Virus Scan (Norton Anti Virus-2005) and it picked up some adware that it can't delete. I ran Ad-Aware and Webroot's SpySweeper (both fully updated) and they couldn't detect the adware. This is the AdWare:

Also, I just viewed the activity log of my Virus scan and found that on there is another type of Adware on my computer:

OK, On the "Adware.NDotNet" page I followed the directions up to #4 To delete the value from the registry.

This is beyond my computing knowledge. I don't know how to access the registry and it's also asking me to BackUp my registry. I don't know how bakcup my registry. :( I followed the Link: "How to make a backup of the Windows registry"...
    ...and it, of course, I run into another problem......

.....and now it's asking me to Manually Install the Backup Utility by using the Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM. I don't think I have this CD rom. All I have is a Compaq Recovery CD.

Is that the same thing?

I can use any help I can get. Thanks in advance.
  2. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    to access the registry, go to start/run and type "regedit" (without the quotes)..HOWEVER be really, really sure what your doing..if you delete the wrong thing you can seriously balls up your pc.

I suggest getting microsofts anti-spyware software here.....

It's in beta version but I've found it incredibly good at finding and removing items which adaware and spybot etc miss.

If after running this you still need to edit your registry (I doubt it though) gimme a shout and I'll talk you through it.

Hope this helps
  3. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Oh yeah,
    I got NewDotNet as well, Microsofts Anti Spyware cleaned and removed that bugger in a second without me having to go near the registry.

ps I dont work for microsoft but I've used and abused all the major spyware scanners out there and to be honest the microsoft one wins hands down.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I just downloaded it and ran it, and it found a lot of stuff Spybot missed. I'm checking to see if it really got rid of PeopleOnPage, which has been very persistent in the past. Looks like an excellent program. Some of the others just block them, but it looks like MS actually roots them out and excises them.
  5. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Exactly, The traditional way with dealing with Spyware was to use Spybot in conjunction with AdAware, this is definitely not the case (try removing CoolWWW or HomeSearchAssistant...not a chance)

And also Spybot and Adaware will tell you theres a pronlem and then "fix" it but the problem still remains on the pc.

The Microsoft scanner seems to be doing a great job at the moment (but its still only a Beta version so we just have to wait and see)

Interesting article about scanners here

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I like the Bazooka scanner. It tells you where to find it in your registry.

Nino.......if you are deleting a portion of the registry directly related to the spyware, you can do so safely. Just don't go digging around other parts of the registry. I manually clean my registry now and then without any problems.

7. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I just downloaded the Microsoft antispyware and it won't scan :confused:
  8. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Thanks for that link Murf. There is alot of good info their.