1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Windows XP SP3 problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Not looking for any mac or linux etc comments.

On topic.

Went to visit my folks, the laptop they have was slow and just in need of a format. Formatted it, reinstalled windows. Everything was working fine.

Updated to SP3, and now it is saying the CD key needs to be activated (again). But it won't confirm the key. Acting like it isnt legit. (It's a Sony Vaio laptop with a legit XP cd key and sticker thing attached to the bottom of the laptop).

Anyone have any suggestions? I know there are ways to bypass the activation key, but I would rather keep everything legit.

Any ideas?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    if it is truly a legit key, follow the links in the alert saying it isn't. MS will verify.

if not... google is your friend

3. The link MS gives in the "incorrect product key" window isn't there. It's a dead end (page cannot be displayed).

Don't see how it could be anything other than legit, the laptop is a good few years old. Have formatted it once before. But never had this issue.

If I don't get anywhere I'll call up MS, but, I'll need to find a number for in the UK, as it doesnt even show a phone number in the "Telephone" part for validation.

4. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    Yeah you'll probably have to call the toll free number and get it verified, good ol Windows will only let you activate off the same key a certain number of times. It's a shame that they don't realise that computers do need to be re-formated from time to time.

I bypassed that whole pain in the neck process by updating with Windows Automatic Updates, once the updates are downloaded do the updates manual by selecting "I choose which updates to install" dont let it install the Windows Verification tool or Windows Genuine Advantage and in due time you'll get all of the current updates plus SP3. Just make sure you always use the "I'll chose which updates to install" button because it will try to sneak the verification tool in on you several times.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Microsoft Telephone Number: 08707 66 09 67

6. Cheers guys. Didn't realise you could only use the same key so many times (I thought it would only be a problem if different hardware had been installed).