Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WIndows XP Users...?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Cúl-Báire, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Howdy folks, I have a little favor to ask. I will probably get scorned for this but anyways...

My g/f recently got a new computer, which come with Windows XP SP2 (home edition). Now I would like to update windows on this computer, which is currently running Windows 98sp2, and I am having some issues witht he OS and my DSL connection at the moment, being particualrly buggy lately.

So apon finding the Windows XP disc/package- I noticed there is no "Certificate of Authenticity lable" on the package- it claims the sticker should be attatched to the new PC by the manufacturer. I cant for the life of me find it on the missus computer or the boxes that come with it, anywhere inside the case, outside or other wise. :meh:

The computers arent conencted or networked, hers isnt online either, so using the same version of XP shouldnt be a problem right>?

I was wondering if anyone could lend me a number, so I can get the setup started? I'm told any XP number will work, but the person I talked to couldn't give me the number off the top of his head (I'd be a little worried if he could :p ).

I was hoping to get the done setup while I'm home sick (food poisoning), from work, with little else to do.

Thanx for any help you can give...
    Mod's delete this if you deem this inappopriate.:)
    -Cul

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    That stuff shouldnt be of any problems - but I don't know too much about the ones that come with manufactures; I never use them.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Nope, not a problem to use the disk to install on another PC. Ethics come into play, but that is something I have no business advising you on.

I will say that if you come across the serial number for XP on your g/f's new machine, that it is intended for that machine only. MS is starting to crack down on people who have illegal copies of Windows.

-Mike

4. I believe they take the COA code, check to see if its valid or already used, then generate another code off it, based on hardware your system has, providing a key that activates XP. Unless the hardware is the same, the key for the GF computer won't work on yours. Someone else's COA should show up as already used. Without activation, it will work for so many days and quit.

Try going to the MS update web site and make sure you have all the latest w98sp2 patches. That should help a lot. I used to have lots of trouble with w98, after I got cable so I could download the patches in reasonable time, I ran the upgrades, 99% of all my troubles disappeared.

Randy

5. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Steve's right, With XP MS got pretty aggressive agains the pirates. There *ARE* some universal numbers out there that have come from corporations who use them to install to a large number of machines without needing to activate them all as Steve mentioned. Any number used by home users (and yours is Home Edition, not the Pro version that these universal numbers would typically be good for) Would be registered with MS and they would have a hardware profile of the PC it is installed on, so the new install wouldn't work without a Phone call to MS to switch the configuration data they have on file (and then de-activate the other profile, leaving the other user high and dry). MS has been rather good at keeping an eye on the web sites that trade these numbers and de-activating ones they discover being posted. I wouldn't suggest using the GF's cd to update the other PC, and from a legal standpoint, I would recommend that you contact MS to ensure that you have purchased a legal copy of XP, as the lack of it could prevent you from upgrading in the future.

6. Sounds to me like Microsoft is both cracking down on pirates- and screwing people over in the butt... They are very good at the later. Windows XP Home retails for $325AUD and XP Pro for about $450AUD- Why should those that have already payed for one copy have to pay for another? I payed for half the computer, adn the missus for the other half :)

Ohhhwell back to the bass :bassist: :bassist:

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Dude....did you get the PM I sent you?

-Mike

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    You can also get yourself a multi-use (multiple install) license without being a huge corporation. That is what I have for my copy of XP Pro.

-Mike

9. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    even if you do pirate, then there is still the activation issue after one month. It really isn't hard to get a universal serial.. my computer was a custom build and has one....

10. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Be careful using a "procured" ;) serial to install xp...it'll install fine but you wont be able to upgrade to Service pack 1 or 2.

11. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Running XP on a Windows 98sp2 machine will make it
    grindingly slow.

Hopefully there will be a BIOS upgrade for the machine,
    but don't count on it.

12. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    ... I don't think that is so. I'm running WinXP Pro on a Pentium I, 200MHz laptop, with 64MB of RAM, and it runs fine. Of course, I have all the show stuff turned off, but it just wastes CPU cycles anyway. And what does BIOS have to do with what OS you're running (besides nothing)?

-Ray

13. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    You could also work for a large company and use the corporate version which doesn't require an activation. ;)

14. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Ouch.. that computer has a retail value of negative $30 Ray, haha! I'm surprised you have such a solid machien taht is still running after all those years- especially being a laptop and all. :)

When I have only XP running on my graphics machine, there are about 230 MB of ram used. The thing about XP, is that it will use as much ram as it can, but it is designed to use 200-256 mb ram when fully functional. If or when you use newer higher powered machines, you'd notice a very significant difference in application speeds. I tend to burn cd's while listening to music, chatting, browsing forums, and playing with photoshop all at the same time so I run 1 Gig of DDRAM :D

15. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Heh, that's not my pain PC. I just keep it around for nostalgia mostly :p. My main PC is P4HT @ 3.2GHz, 1.5GBDDR. In my room though, there's a P4 1.3GHz, a 386, the laptop, and a Pentium 166, and they're all running. The P4 1.3GHz, the 386 and the Pen. 166 all run Linux, and the rest are dual-boot with WinXP and either Fedore Core 2 or Gentoo.

-Ray

16. Its not an old machine- only a year or so old...

It's a Celeron 2.8 GHz, with 1280MB (2x512 + 1x256) of ram, so it should hold it's own in terms of running Windows XP- which requires 256mb of ram and about a 1GHz porcesser. I only put Windows 98Sp2 on this machine as thats all I had around at the time. This is just an OS- I dont run games, although I run abit of Audio editing softwear, adn of course play music- and look at the net :)

I'm not a fan of XP- but my ISP & Modem company has stoped supporting Windows 98, they believe thats why I am having connection issues... So i figured I might as well upgrade.

17. I've got a 1999 dell laptop that came with W98sp1, I'm running XP on it with no problem, 512MB mem though, that may be helping.

It was only a PII300Mhz machine.... until I upgraded it to PIII800/650Mhz Speedstep.... and put the 60GB Hitachi 7200 RPM hard drive in to replace the 8GB 4200RPM stock drive... :hyper: That probably sped it up a bit.....

Talk about a Frankenbass.... I've got a FrankenLaptop...

Now if you UPGRADE an old cluttered w98 install to XP instead of a fresh install of XP, I bet it WOULD suck big time... That's the software, not the hardware though. Sounds like you have a bare bones install, it might upgrade ok, but fresh install still safer bet, IF you have the other software disks for what you want, and have a way to transfer mail, files, etc once install over.

Randy