Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wine question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Sinker, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Sinker

Sinker

Dec 4, 2002
    Newark, DE USofA
    Friends usually like my wine selections when they come to Chez Sinker for dinner for beef or Italian dishes. To give you an idea of my tastes, my current favorite is a Barbera d'Asti.

We've been invited to dinner this weekend at a friend's house, and I've been asked to bring the wine. Here's the hard part...they're serving ham.
    What's good with ham? A pinot noir? Maybe a Heineken?

Just asking, is all.

-Sinker-

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    oh wow...i have no clue what wine etiquette calls for when serving ham. odd...

:edit---i just thought of something...pork _is_ the other white meat...sorry ;)

3. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    A good Pinot Noir with Ham.... Definately!!
    :)

4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Don't be afraid to break the rules. I don't have a taste for whites and drink Cab, Merlot, Sangiovese, and Red Zin with just about everything. I think an Italian red (Sangiovese, Chianti) would be good with ham.

5. BigTed

BigTed

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    40 oz. Old English is great with ham.

6. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Sangiovese, Chianti????

With ham go white.

Sauvignon Blanc

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    To my taste I don't think ham would be best complemented by a dark wine. I think a chardonnay would go nicely with ham...or maybe a white zinfandel. It's all opinion though. I just don't think I'd enjoy pinot noir with saltiness of ham. (even if it's a honey-baked ham)

brad cook

edit You could always bring two different wines and let the guests select

8. knight

knight

Nov 3, 2002
    hmmm... it sort of depends on how the ham is cooked, but I would recommend a not-so-strong red wine, people suggested pinot noir which I think is a great idea, or you can always go the cabernet way. If you want Italian, try Dolcetto or Nebbiolo, from Piemonte (Piedmont).
    enjoy.

9. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    On second thought, Boones Farm Strawberry would compliment the ham quite well. You can leave your corkscrew home, it's a twist off.

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

"Colt 45!" Or step up to Micheloeb.

11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    If it's something like christmas style ham dinner, I would go with some dark, thick, slightly caramel-like beer, which compliments the ham nicely.

One very good beer to go with xmas meal is Saku Porter, but it's brewed in Estonia so probably it's bit hard to find in your part of the world so you need to find a substitute. I suggest some other nice sturdy porter.

12. my 0.2c
    cooked /smoked ham - soft merlot, beaujolais-villages californian cabernet, or possibly a zindenfal. [white] try a oaked white Rioja or a soave

unsmoked - the above plus try a syrah cotes-du-rhone or a mature red burgundy. [white] try a vouvray.

Cured or raw ham - depends on the regional ham eg with parma or prosciutto try anjou blanc, loire Chenin or a German Riesling Kabinett. If Spanish Jambon try a teroidego Rotaliano or a ripe merlot.

Of course you could just take along your favorite and enjoy it anyway. Whatever, friends make the evening not the food or wine, they just add to it!

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    How's the ham prepared?

14. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    seattle
    IMO Zinfandel is a red wine only. White zinfandel is wine cooler.
    Sinker, why are you asking us armchair somaliers, when you could get a more definitive answer from the proprietor of your local wine shop?

15. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    My former roommate is a sommelier. He actually has a PhD in wine. How cool is that? Could you imagine going to class?

"Did everyone bring their cheese and crackers today?

"Daniel, are you without your bordeaux glass again!"

Anyway, David's right, go to a local wine shop, even a BevMo. Ask them, they'll break it down for you.

16. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Did you know that the white zinfandel was actually invented by the good folks at Sutter Home. Ah, yes, Sutter Home, the next best thing to wine in a box!

While Sutter Home probably makes the worst example of wine next to boxed pink chablis, I must give them props for their community involvement. While it's clear they don't know the first thing about making wine, they do know business, and have been successful in marketing and providing state-of-the-art equipment and technology to Napa valley vintners. As funny as it seems, they're extremely valuable to the area. The whole white zinfandel blemish can be forgiven.