Wine Talk

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Papersen, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    This is obviously no music related.
    Is there any people here who really appreciate good wine ?
    I mean, I consider myself a wine lover and try to taste wines from all over the world, it`s my second passion (after music, of course).
    So, I`d like to know what particular wines (Grapes, Region, winemaker) are preferred by my fellow TBers.
  2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  3. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Hooray for Australian wines! :D

I am a long way from being a connoisseur either but I do enjoy a good drop. My current favourite white is the Sauvignon Blanc Semillon from the Capel Vale winery in Western Australia.
    Reds I'm not sure about....I am familiar with the Jacobs Creek Grenache Shiraz you mentioned, Leinad and it is very nice. I'm particularly partial to Merlots also.
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I love good wine but it's definitely not up in my top 5 passions. I think my favorite is Pinot Grigio. My fallback Pinot Grigio is usually Ecco Domani. Not real complex but a good wine nonetheless and an excellent value. I like all kinds of wines, pinot grigio is just my favorite at the moment. Honestly, I'm willing to settle for less than the best with wine because I like it a lot but it just cost too damn much to buy the best wine for regular consumption.

brad cook
  5. Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
  6. What do you think of Peter Lehman wine? I'm not much into white wine I'm afraid. I'm a fan of Australian wine alright, I just can't get into the French wine, I don't like the bite that much, I prefer the smoother Australians.
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

MD 20/20 has a nose like a fine, codeine-based, prescription cough syrup, a finish like wet concrete, tannin that reeks of Chernobyl grapes, and when decanted and allowed to breath, (when you unscrew the top), it has a balance that reminds one of what Attila the Hun was to civilized society....... and still gets you hammered for just a couple of bucks!

8. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    I have had a PL Shiraz that was quite was awhile ago though.
  9. Ah I'm sorry, I was gonna keep this going but I just got bored, I don't know a thing about wine! I just happened to see the JC bottle on the table, the old pair seem to like it, so decided to throw that in their somewhere. Then went searching for more Aussie wines and found the name PL. Sure I'm only 16, I can't stand wine yet, it takes too long to get drunk on, so what would I be wanting with it? :D Sorry about playing with you! :p
  10. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    *note to self - read peoples signatures before replying to their posts*

Damn, cheeky Irish...Why I oughta!! :D ;)
  11. there is a song by Fountains of Wayne called "Mexican Whine"

... or something like that, its wierd :cool:
  12. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I love many vinos, but Northern Italian(Tuscany) wines are my current favorites.
  13. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    I have to say that because imported wines are so expensive and there are so many good local ones, that I haven't had anything other than Australian drop for a very long time :(
  14. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I tend to agree with this with one exception - Sav Blanc from Marlborough in NZ :) - Australia is yet to produce a Sav Blanc worth drinking and really, why bother, when you can get the best from NZ!
  15. Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    I gotta admit that I´ve really enjoyed many Australian Shiraz (or Syrah).
    Last one I tasted was a Rosemount (payed only USD 9.99 in Miami) and just loved it. However my fav was a Penfolds Bin 128 1996, from Coonawarra Valley. Another category.
  16. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Rosemount do some lovely wines very reasonably priced. The Penfolds is definitely in a different league though :D
  17. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I am not very privy to wine culture, I don't really know what's good and what isn't.

My mom lets me drink a glass of wine with dinner, it's usually merlot, I don't know where it comes from, napa I think. I have had good wines and bad wines, but I really don't pay attention to what they are, so I can't really say.

I prefer red wine over white wine.
  19. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    I haven't tried that one.

I did get to try a New Zealand ice-wine the other day. Very interesting - I really liked it even though I'm not generally a huge dessert wine fan.