1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Winning at the lottery would not solve this: Sadowsky>

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cheopsnet, Oct 17, 2013.

1. cheopsnet

cheopsnet

Oct 15, 2009
    Hi guys,

Guitar-player for the past 12 years, now expanding to the bass. I know the basics and would like to dig much more with a focus on motown, funk a la Jamiroquai and some slap).

Dilemma: I dont per se have a budget and am thus debating solely on the axe which will help my fingers get the sounds I have in my head:

> A cool Sadowsky (below) or a cool Stingray (in the spirit of the below)?

What do you think (ignoring price)? Getting close to the sounds mentioned above (from heavy boom sound to slap)? Comfort? Which one will be the best tool long-term for me?

If you were in an island on your own, no way to re-sell it and time on your hands to learn your classics, which one would you bring?

L

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Can't go wrong with either, both great at funk and slap. Just slightly different flavors. You prefer Cherry Garcia or Phish Food????

Me, I've owned both and prefer jazz basses (and Cherry Garcia).

3. overbybr

overbybr Supporting Member Supporting Member

The Ray will do Funk and Motown for days on end

4. Both of those basses are very versatile. The Sadowsky will give a more 'classic' slap sound, but stingrays are of course known as great slap basses too.

I think either would be incredible basses to work with, it would just depend on which one feels better to you when you tested them out.

5. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I own and love em' both. I said you said don't worry about price, but there is a HUGE difference here...

To answer your desert island question, it would probably be a Sadowsky NYC JJ5.

6. aparker82

aparker82

Sep 19, 2012
    Georgia
    My vote is a stingray, but as said before, see which bass feel right, alot can be done tone wise with play style. I can pull alot of nice tones out of my ray35.

7. aparker82

aparker82

Sep 19, 2012
    Georgia
  8. If you wanna open your head up for more suggestions, you might also consider one of Carvin's offerings. Great, great basses, at even greater prices.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/sb5000

They also offer other models that are equally great.

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    The J. All day long. I love the sound of a Ray. But if you are going classic, I would say the J.

10. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    save yourself some time....Fender. :bag:

11. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

Aug 5, 2013
    I'd go for the J, I prefer the wider range of tones you get from bridge & neck pickups.

12. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I noticed on is a 4 and the other is 5. I would prefer the SR5, but you can't go wrong either way. The reason I picked the SR5 is that you have the flexibility of that low B. I utilize it alot as I am a lead singer as well. Helps keep my left hand in a short position so I don't have to look down.

13. If you are considering literally those two basses, then the 4 string versus 5 string would obviously be a big deal.

If you are talking about Sadowsky versus MM in general, huge differences. As a guitarist, if you are looking for a 5, the very tight string spacing of the MM might make you feel more at home than the full 19mm spacing of the Sadowsky.

As a beginning bassist, I know you said money doesn't matter, but given there is probably a $3K difference in the price of those instruments (or a $2K difference with a Sadowsky Metro), get the MM to start and go from there.

Either will sound great in its own way, and both will sound great in the context you describe.

14. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
  15. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Get an inexpensive jazz bass of some kind (lots of good ones out there) and a Sadowsky pre/DI.

16. I would buy the bass you will lose less on when you re-sell it. No matter what you buy this year, a year from now you will want something different, guaranteed. You might eventually settle in with one instrument, but it won't be your first and probably not your second either.

17. fender 62 avri jazz bass would be my choice

18. Jimmy74

Jimmy74

Nov 21, 2010
    Singapore
    I'm am a guitarist, and I have since gone into bass. As mentioned by Kjung, you will find the tighter string spacing easier to get used to. But from my experience, the adaptation from 16.5mm to 19/20mm is a speedy one, simply because you want to do something you don't usually do on a guitar - slap. Secondly, this will never be your last bass. You want to flip the bass, the bass must have a resale value. Between an EBMM and a Sad, I think you know the answer. ;)

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd get the Sadowsky because I greatly prefer 4's to 5's and Fender and Fender style basses to MusicMan basses.

20. Drucocu

Drucocu

Jan 24, 2007
    Sadowsky Metro Hybrid PJ! best of both (classic) worlds!