1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Winter 2017 Build Off - Claro

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Scoops, Dec 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    I'm in

Specs:
    Neck: Claro Walnut/Paduk Laminate, in either neck through or set neck (Haven't decided)
    Scale: 33
    Strings: 4
    Fingerboard: Gaboon Ebony - Fretless
    Body Design: New
    Body Composition: Winged Claro Walnut
    Finish: TBD
    Electronics: TBD with a lean towards a piezo in the bridge only

Edit: My Challenge will be my first set neck or neck through, will probably be my first piezo, and it is a new design

Attached Files:

• WBO1.
      WBO1.jpg
      File size:
      257.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    I might even wind my own magnetic pups if I go that route, which would be another challenge as I have never done that before either

Need to cut some wood

Deep Cat likes this.
  3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    You have a great eye for lumber, Scoops.

Bass drawing isn't half bad either ;)

rojo412 and Scoops like this.
  4. Scoops

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    Went to cut wood yesterday, but then stopped as I have a couple items that need to be sorted out

The first thing I had to figure out was where I was going to use the different parts of the wood. I really like pieces of wood like this because it gives me many options. In this case, I could use the "curly" portion for the neck, and use the straight grain side for the wings. My design co-ordinator quickly put that to rest and questioned my sanity for even considering using the "curly" portion for the neck

Once I got that straightened out I figured I would draw out the neck onto the wood to see what I'll be getting. Two things caught my concern here. First is the crack. It goes all the way through the wood. What is shown is the worse of the 2 sides. To fix this I'll cut the wood shape, and then use a thin CA to glue it, and clamp it tight. The other thing that caught my eye is that the lower cutout needs to be adjusted. I didn't draw in the neck when I did the outline on the computer. Looking at the pic it's clear to see I need to do some more design work.

Cheers and Thanks for looking

WBO2.

I-Am-The-Slime and Will_White like this.
  5. Scoops

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    Got around to cutting some wood for the center beam. The crack that I showed in the previous pic may present itself as an issue. Once I got into the center of the wood there is a void, or empty little pocket. When cutting my wood I tried to cut out that section, but it covered a large area. Not big, and probably wont be seen, but I wont know for sure until I plane it out. My goal here is to have a neck through, but if the piece messes up on me, I'll go the set neck path

The laminates are Black Walnut for the main wood with 3 center stringers made of Paduk and Northern Ash
    WBO3.

Will_White and tbrannon like this.
  6. Scoops

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    Realized the worst

It's currently under clamp and CA. I'll leave it clamped overnight. There is still a small little gap that 4 clamps couldn't close
    WBO4.

7. Looking good!

8. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Sub'd

9. tbrannon

tbrannon

Jun 11, 2006
    Love that neck recipe. Hope it works out, because it's visually stunning.

10. Scoops

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    Thanks

I'm not sure if it will work out yet. I took it out of the claps this morning, and I still have a crack. It's not as bad as the pic above shows, but all the same it's still there and it bugs the bajepers out of me. Functionally, it's sound. I may use this for a future project

This build was originally going to use the "flamed" portion of the board (in first post) for the wings. I can still do that, but the crack will show. Also, the wings at this point aren't wide enough to make a full body.

I'm looking into a couple options.
    1) I do have some more flamed Claro Walnut laying around. I might just use the section I have left and make that the neck, and the other Claro to make a fully flamed walnut bass. Drawback to this is that the other piece I have has a crack in it as well.
    2) I have a piece of flamed maple that I would use as a carrier, and I would use the neck I currently have, carve a big ol trench and put the neck in with the crack down and hidden out of the way. I'd leave the neck about a 1/16 raised above the face surface, much like the center section of a Firebird.

More tomorrow

11. That's a bummer. So it split after glue up? Something I hadn't even considered!

12. Yeah, that would make me nervous. I built a mission style sofa out of quarter-sawn oak about 10 years ago and had a piece split like that in one of the legs after gluing. I had to toss the leg (before it was attached) because it started twisting as well. Sometimes wood just has internal stresses that will f-up your project. Given you are near the start, you might be wise to saw off that piece and replace it if you suspect it isn't finished moving.

13. Scoops

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    Yeah, I am!

14. Scoops

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    Change of direction

I'm going EUB with this!

Even though this piece has a crack in it, it doesn't mean it can't be used. I'll be using this in it's entirety

I'm thinking an ebony leg that is hinged to the (can I say) body, that can be folder to the back for travel.
    I'd build it so I can use the Knilling Planetary Geared Cello Peg
    Still a Piezo.
    I need to find a pre-carved Upright Bass or Cello fingerboard
    Not quite sure of the Angle I'll have on the FB to the body. I plan to carve the block of ebony show, into the bridge
    I'm looking to get a all ebony tone path....meaning the bridge, fingerboard, and nut will be ebony

I also have these chunks of wood. Four of em. A while back I book matched a couple black walnut burl billets I had. I was disappointed when I got them because they smelled really bad (Moldy). When I cut them, I found that they were very wet yet. I didn't get the opportunity to dry them correctly, and they warped. Theres about .75 inches of deflection. Well, I now found a use for them. I may use 2, I may use 4. Don't know yet
    WBO5.

BritFunk and Will_White like this.
  15. You might try finding a fingerboard from a local luthier who works on school basses. A buddy of mine repairs string instruments in the Sacramento region and he often has used parts salvaged from trashed instruments. Maybe worth a try.