1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Winter 2017 Build Off- Moonshine EURB

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by moonshinegtrs, Dec 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    It's been a few years but I think I'm ready to do this again...
    Winter 2017 Build Off - Challenge yourself

You got to love a good build off challenge, already some really cool builds being started.

I've been thinking about this one for several years and the fact that I am planning to get back into resonator builds in 2017 caused me to start looking at this build more seriously. In fact I had already recently posted a related project:
    Let's build a ERUB... Okay, maybe a stand first.

My original plan had been to build a really nice all solid wood electric upright resonator bass and I will eventually construct that version but I want to think outside the box with this one.

I want to build this bass as if Nat Daniels (Original owner/inventor of Danelectro) had designed it. If you know me or my company you are probably thinking that's pretty much what I do now, but I have some different construction techniques that I want to try. I want to think more as a engineer than an instrument builder.

What I have right now is:
    * A basic drawing of what I want.
    * It will have a 42" scale (3/4 size)
    * A rosewood upright fingerboard (I will be ordering one on line).
    * It will have an upright style bridge with adjusters (the style may change)
    * It will use steel strings
    * It will use some form of a resonator
    * It will have a magnetic pickup at the end of the fingerboard as well as a piezo on the cone or bridge
    * It will have some type of acoustic bass(guitar) style side mounted preamp/controls
    * It will use a cymbal stand of some style
    * I want to keep the cost of this build as low as possible. I will be using inexpensive materials whenever possible.

I have previously built a couple of EUB's before but nothing like this. The major difference will be the construction techniques that I will be using for this one. It is something that I have been thinking about for awhile thought I have never used this building style before.

I will be posting more soon...

Moonshine :bassist:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    Dominic DeCosa, GKon and Will_White like this.
  2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Sounds great. A resonator EUB. I'm in.

3. moonshinegtrs

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Here is my list of deviations from my normal style of building:

* This will have a hollow body made of non traditional materials; hardboard (which I use often) and plywood, which I have never used in a build before.

* Instead of a inner center brace that is attached to the top and back, the body will be supported an exoskeleton (kind of...) that will be covered with an outer skin (hardboard).

* This will be built with acoustic/resonator guitar construction techniques; mainly the bass will have neck and tail blocks and the sides will be bent.

* I will use building materials that I have on hand or can scrounge (with the exception of the fingerboard and possibly the bridge); availability and strength will be the requirements as opposed to tonal quality and appearance.

* I will be using a non traditional resonator cone.

* The resonator cone will be mounted inside of the body (not visible).

* The neck will be removable (bolt on from inside) for ease of maintenance and the ability to change the neck angle
    (set up).

* Pickups and Electronics; still not completely sure what I'm going to do, but it will be somewhat deviant.

I want the bass to be fairly light weight but not to the point of being top heavy, I have also decided to add a end pin (as originally planned) so the bass can be used with out a stand.

That's all I can think of... Some of this may change as I get into the build. I hope to get started on it this week. I'll have to fit it in between "Real" projects... Those that pay the bills.

Pesky bills. :meh:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    wraub and Will_White like this.
  4. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    You have my attention :thumbsup:

moonshinegtrs likes this.
  5. I am beyond excited for this build!

6. moonshinegtrs

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    As mentioned earlier, I've been planning a build like this for awhile now. I've got a drawing of what I had in mind; a minimalistic design but it still had somewhat of a body shape. I love the way it looks, especially being constructed out of exotic woods as originally planned (sorry for the crappy picture).
    20161225_173012-1_resized_zpsi1kbd07o.

So... This challenge came up and I decided to do this build but in the spirit of the challenge I started thinking about building this bass in the tradition of the original Danelectro instruments. Nat Daniel was a talented engineer and inventor, he was not a musician or a luthier; he built instruments that were structurally sound and cost effective. This business plan fits well with the build I am planning. I have stated several times that the body of a resonator is more of a speaker enclosure than it is a vibrating acoustic sound box. The materials I have chosen to use are both inexpensive and stiff (strong). I would like to think that Nat would approve.

I have a couple of uprights and as I was gettings specs off of them I decided that I would like this bass to have at least some of the look of a double bass, I really dig the way the points (?) look on them. I spent a couple of days thinking about what I wanted it to look like and today I had the chance to start drawing it out.

I'm using 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood here. these templates will eventually be the frame (exoskeleton) for the body. I started out with a few basic measurements and the location ofthe resonator:
    20161226_115321-1-1_resized_zpszebddjs2.

I'm old school, I love to draw. I start sketching different ideas then trying them out full size...
    20161226_121615-1-1_resized_zpsd0uahdae.

I got the bass side to where I am happy with it. I know I want the lower bout to be symmetrical so I made a transfer of it and drew it out.
    20161226_122349-1_resized_zps7vxtixcr.
    20161226_145813-1_resized_zpsybnl56j2.

I finished up by making the upper treble side one huge cutaway:
    20161226_161204-1_resized_zpsi4r9rsan.

I have to get back on my customer builds tomorrow but I hope to have the top and back frames completed by the end of the week (I'm being optimistic).

7. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Love the design. That is = parts archaic and modern. A very nice melding of aesthetic choices. I can't wait to see this in finished form :)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  8. Christopher DBG

Christopher DBG Commercial User

May 18, 2015
    Westerly, RI
    Luthier/Owner, Christopher Bass Guitar
    This looks cool!

9. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    I really dig that body shape, nice flow of the lines, with modern and traditional touches. Well done.
    Waiting for more... ;)

10. moonshinegtrs

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    I did have time to cut out the template today. I also cut out another one; they will make up the front and the back portions of the frame/exoskeleton. I will fasten them together and sand them to their final shape.
    20161227_161137-1_resized_zpslhlwy8de.

I've got a crazy idea about how to do a carved top on this, not sure if it's going to work... Time to experiment.

11. That looks amazing!

12. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Nice shape. Glad to see there's more of us old school sketchers. In my hands nothing beats a pen and paper.

13. moonshinegtrs

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    I'm dating myself but in the early eighties I took a Technical drawing/Drafting class in college and the teacher told us that it would be the last year this course was being taught because they were going to computer design classes next year. He told us that in ten years no one would be using drawings... At the time I thought... "Yeah, right".

Doh.

Still glad I took it. My Father worked for the Federal Aviation Administration; in the early days he drew out flight charts. I inherited his drawing tools and his love for drafting.

14. moonshinegtrs

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Since this week is short,I decided to dedicate the rest of it to cleaning up my shop (some :D) as well as getting some of my own projects out of the way. Today I got the chance to work on this project...

First I used double stick tape to attach the two pieces together, then I cleaned up the outer profile(s).
    20170104_142630-1_resized_zpsbp9awfzd.
    20170104_145858-1_resized_zpsotkybual.

Afterwards I drilled 3/16" holes for alignment dowels at the neck and the tail blocks and 3/8" diameter holes at the points; these will be supports for the outer frames.
    20170104_152351-1_resized_zpslksfzp4r.

Then I separated the two pieces. The top piece will be the back frame (I want the nicer face of the plywood showing on the inside) and the back piece will be the top frame. Using the back piece, I drew out my measurements on the rear frame. Next I started laying out the details for the inside of the top frame; I'm not done drawing but the three open areas will be cutout as well as the inside of the circle where the resonator will be mounted.
    20170104_161204-1_resized_zpsbzi3wkre.

This is where I'm at now, hopefully I'll get the chance to work on it some more before the weeks out.
    20170104_161142-1_resized_zps2dvvwtpg.

JIO, Will_White and GKon like this.
  15. moonshinegtrs

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Today I completed drawing out the inner dimensions on the top frame
    20170105_130711-1_resized_zpsfbmtukew.

Afterwards, I used a scroll saw to cut it out then finished it out with my spindle sander.
    20170105_150405_resized_zpsbgrt9x1e.

Next I need to transfer the inner specs onto the rear frame; It will be the same as the front frame with the exception of the center area which will provide access to the resonator cone and support for the cymbal stand attachment.

I've been looking for material for the neck and I thought to myself... "What would Nat (Daniel) do?" The answer is simple: Poplar.

I'm thinking a 3 pc. Laminated Poplar neck would be perfect.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    JIO, rojo412 and BassHappy like this.
  16. I manually draw out all my instruments too. I guess I haven't really taken the time to learn a computer program to do it, I see some of the drawings here and I know I should.

Will_White and moonshinegtrs like this.
  17. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    Computer drafting really isn't better than pencil, it's just a different way of getting the same result. The only advantage is that you can easily get multiple exact copies. I like to use both, I start with a sketch or existing design then trace it in so I can manipulate and tweak it it in 3d space. I find that it helps to be able to see how things like body thickness and bridge height or neck angle affect the overall design.

Jisch and moonshinegtrs like this.
  18. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I am in love with that body shape. So elegant.

Nice work Moonshine

19. What program do you use? It's time for me to do this, I think.

20. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    If you want to get your feet wet, try a 90 day trial of Rhino3d.
    Rhino - Downloads

TBer Adam Beauchene created an excellent YT tutorial series on how to design a bass from the ground up using this software:

Beauchene Implements

Jisch likes this.