1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Winter 2017 Build Off - TeiscoT45bird

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JIO, Feb 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Teiscobird project (starting post #227)

This is continued from a thread started last year overlapping into this year - my TeiscoT45bird began after J1. FTR it's a revisiting of a successful hybrid of a (vintage) mid-sixties Teisco Del Rey body and an Epi Goth neck I made called the Teiscobird. So a related build with differences... enjoy!

I initially referred to this bass as TeiscoT40bird - but have now changed it to TeiscoT45bird after discovering that the single pu version of the circa 1981 Peavey (the pu used in this build) was called the T45. A T40 was the 2 pu version.

Here's a few key process pics from my other thread to start out this thread -

fullsizeoutput_95d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3bc.jpeg

IMG_0993.JPG

IMG_1027.JPG

fullsizeoutput_bc5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bc8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bcc.jpeg

IMG_1052.JPG

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    Bioflava, TheMinutemen, BeeTL and 5 others like this.
  2. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    Glitter Blast!

IMG_1055.JPG

IMG_1053.JPG

IMG_1054.JPG

ICM, smithcreek, AGH and 7 others like this.
  3. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    JIO likes this.
  4. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    IMG_1057.JPG

AGH, hillerup and Will_White like this.
  5. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    JIO likes this.
  6. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    Cool - however I don't have spraying equipment. I assume it's dry flakes to be mixed w/clear lacquer correct?

7. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Could you use that with a Preval sprayer?

JIO likes this.
  8. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Yes, but it is a very small flake and could probably be sprayed with a Preval

JIO likes this.
  9. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    Ok, so it's an iridescent/pearlescent sort of thing? I've already shot a couple of light coats of nitro clear, so I'd have to mix the flakes in clear nitro and shoot it over the ivory, and then return to the Stew Mac satin nitro?

10. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    Shot a couple thin coats of the Stew Mac satin clear with light fiber-pad sanding between and took off the tape/masking paper from the back. Will let that cure 24 hrs and then tape it off for continuing the back. The tort binding will be more visually pronounced once the back gets 'blasted' with gold glitter dust. In the end, the look I'm after is a bit 'low-tech', like the Teisco's I'm referencing.

IMG_1058.JPG

11. Great stuff. I really like those bodies and the Silvertones that were similar.

JIO likes this.
  12. I find these sparkle finishes tremendously exciting. My collection has nothing like what you're doing and they probably wouldn't suit my dreadful lack of style and fashion sense at all, but DAMN do I appreciate them!

JIO likes this.
  13. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    :) thanks! I've had a long time passive interest in these iconic basses but it wasn't until I bought my '65 Del Rey that I fell in love! This body is echoing the mid-sixties body (could have been a Silvertone or Teisco, or...) I used on my Teiscobird but my '65 Teisco Del Rey is slightly different at the elbow scallop/bevel.

I agree! I play in a 'show' band (Bond Girl) and have used my (Marty Bell) sparkle "Glam P/J" for a couple of shows. I usually use my Oly white/tort '66 tribute which is very "lounge/night-club". Sparkle finishes (to me) shout "show-biz". (tinsel and coloured lights)

This one will be pretty subtle compared to a full-out sparkle finish - especially as it will be a satin sheen. From a distance it will look off-white and the gold dusting will only be apparent upon closer inspection. I'm a big fan of subtlety, even when incorporating gilded and sparkle finishes.

AGH, hillerup and cdlynch like this.
  14. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    You cut your own body? Very impressive that.

JIO likes this.
  15. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    I've done enough of this over the years that it's pretty straight forward. I would not consider myself a luthier in the strictest sense (at all), but know my way around power and hand tools. I've yet to make a neck (other than a EUB) from scratch but understand how it is done viewing many of the fine builds here on LC. There was a point in which I decided that I wanted to focus on what I do best and let others follow that same rule doing the other things that need to be done. So I have a relationship with a journeyman luthier here in SF to make my necks, and two of the best guitar finishers in the nation (in SoCal) to do my beautiful final finishing. Love working collaboratively for a result of combined craftsmanship/skills.

hillerup and Fat Freddy like this.
  16. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    It gives a green, blue, and pinkish reflection in certain light without being obvious. I use it in every flake job I do, it really makes a standard flake job pop

This is the best photo I have of its effect, yet it still doesn't fully capture the effect.

DSCF0033_zpse8914553.jpg

bholder, ICM, hillerup and 2 others like this.
  17. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    Very cool - I see the green and pink on my monitor and will trust you about the blue.

BeeTL likes this.
  18. BeeTL

BeeTL Commercial User

Sep 26, 2006
    Oldsmar, FL
    Brad Lowe, Lowe Custom Guitars
    I like where this is heading!

Gaolee and JIO like this.
  19. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    I must say that that body looks really comfy.

20. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    It is - the combination of being big (big as a J), thin (1-1/4"), light (whole bass under 8lbs) and "contoured for comfort" - makes for a very comfy bass! :thumbsup:

audreycashin and Will_White like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021