1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Winter 2017 Build Off -- The Dan-0-Backer

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Jon Clegg, Jan 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Oh such heresy! Inspired by Mapleglo's wonderful Fenderbacker, I wanted to build something even more heretical -- A 4001 shape with lipstick humbuckers, short scale, neck-through. The challlenges- my first multi-piece neck and a neck through.

The neck will be 2 pieces of maple sandwiching a piece of walnut. The wings will be poplar covered with a mahogany veneer, with edge binding, a-la Brian May. I'll probably go with a lacquer finish.

ICM, /\/\3phist0, Jazz Ad and 12 others like this.
  2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Sound great! :)

3. Jon Clegg

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Still in the planning phase; the paralysis of analysis! I'm going now with a 5-piece neck 3 pieces of maple with thin walnut stringers; Rosewood FB from LMII so I can get it radiused and slotted for 21 Frets, 32" scale. Decided on using the same individual bridge saddles used by JIO on his SuperB, because I love the look of these :) oxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi1168.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fr494%2FJioreo%2FIMG_7121_zpsbbeb2063.png

I bought 4 lipsticks a while back when I first conceived of this bass, of course, it turns out they're all the same polarity and wind; fortunately, it's easy to reverse the polarity lipsticks.

So a question for any Ric owners out there; How much space is there between the left mounting hole of the neck pickup and the left edge of the pickup? I'm thinking of modding a stock 4001 pickguard to accomodate the twin lipsticks of the neck humbucker and want to know if theres enough room.

rojo412 and JIO like this.
  4. Neat build, I'll try and keep up with all the heresy.

When it comes time to reverse the polarity, could you show us? I'm curious.

-Jake

5. Jon Clegg

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Yes I'll take pictures when I do it. Due to the way that lipsticks are put together it's supposed to be simple (I hope!)

Now, a quick idea of the way it should lay out:

GEDC0367.JPG

The dreaded neck beam glue-up photo should be coming later this week!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    Freekmagnet, JJR58, JIO and 3 others like this.
  6. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I notice you have the John Alllen Guitars version of the Ric plans. They show the 1/2" neck pup spacing off the fingerboard. I don't know how deep the lipstick pup route needs to be, but if its as deep as a standard Ric high gain, you might consider moving it back to the 1" spacing standard on the current 4003 basses. The big pup route at 1/2" spacing hogs out a ton of wood right where the neck beam joins the body. This was always a bad idea structurally, and Ric finally abandoned it. FWIW, the 1" spacing puts a Ric high gain at the theoretical 24th fret node, and the stock Ric rear pup is very close to 36th fret node. If you really want the 1/2" spacing, keep your route shallow!

7. Jon Clegg

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks for the input. Yeah I've been following your build and was aware of that problem. Fortunately, the lipsticks are basically a cylinder with plate on the bottom and won't require a particularly deep rout.

As it is, the midpoint of the neck humbucker would be at the 24th fret, if I slide the pickup 1/2" towards the bridge that puts the neck lipstick at the 24th fret which may be the ticket.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    Will_White and Gilmourisgod like this.
  8. Jon Clegg

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    So here are the pieces of the neck M-W-M-W-M. Question for those who've done this before: Is it better to do the whole glue up at once or in parts? In other words, glue the walnut to the maple let it cure, then glue the outer beams to that assembly?

GEDC0373 (2).JPG

And a quick snap of the mahogany veneer that will go on the body:
    GEDC0374.JPG

9. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I have yet to build a laminated neck, but based on all the other builds in TB, the common practice is all at once. It seems like that approach would allow the alternating grain direction on all the layers to cancel each other out. That's not a lot of layers as neck lamnations go, builders like @rockhewer have done a lot more, and all at once.

10. Jon Clegg

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    All at once it is then!

11. Definitely all at once. It's a hectic thing to do depending on how many laminates you have. Line them all up beforehand and plan out how you will apply glue and move the pieces into place.

12. Jon Clegg

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks much!

13. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    I've done up to 13-piece necks all at once. Get all the pieces lined up and ready to go, and use a roller to apply glue, and get your clamps laid out ahead of time, and it's pretty simple.

AltGrendel and kaoskater08 like this.
  14. Jon Clegg

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks. Love this place!

15. Jon Clegg

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Alright ready to glue!
    GEDC0378.JPG

A bit of glue spreading later and we're in the clamps!
    GEDC0380.JPG

Got the fingerboard ordered yesterday. Now we wait.

16. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Looks great! Maple and walnut, my favorite combination.

17. Jon Clegg

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks!

mapleglo likes this.
  18. Jon Clegg

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    So noodling around while waiting for the fingerboard, I decided to make a logo:

2000px-Rickenbacker_logo.svg - Copy.png
    Thoughts?

ICM, Freekmagnet, JIO and 3 others like this.
  19. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I like it, but on a custom Ric style build, I don't feel any allegiance to the Ric script. The continuous bottom line makes it a bit hard to read. I'm in the same process for a logo right now. I tried the Dymaxion font, closest I could find. Is that what you used? At any rate, it didn't look good with my text, so I went with an Arts & Crafts style script. Are you going to have it made, or just get waterslide paper and print it yourself?

20. Jon Clegg

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah I'm thinking that a different connection from the 'D' to the 'a' along the lines of the 'b' to the 'a' in 'backer' would make it more readable. This a a modification of another font I found and used MS-Paint to cut and paste things together I'll check out the Dynmaxion font, I also found a font called LostWages that looks pretty good.
    I'll go with waterslide and print it myself.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021