1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Winter Break Storage

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by NickO417, Dec 2, 2019 at 10:28 AM.

1. NickO417

NickO417

Monday
    Hello everyone, first post here but frequent user of the site. I am a college student about to go on break with my Eastman Hybrid bass. This will be my first winter with it so I want to make sure when I take it to my home it will be safe. My main issue is home is an old apartment with no AC or heat, only floorboard heating. I can solve the humidity issue easily with a humidifier, but I am scared that not being able to maintain a constant temperature may affect my instrument. Is there anything else I should be doing to protect my DB or am I just overconcerned?

2. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Not knowing where you live, it's hard to guess what the temperature range will be there. Can you give us a little more information?

3. NickO417

NickO417

Monday
    Sorry about that, I live around Boone NC in the Appalachian Mountains.

dhergert and unbrokenchain like this.
  4. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    @unbrokenchain , it sounds like you've had some similar home situations in that general area. Can you share your DB experiences with hot/cold, humid/dry weather?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 11:22 AM
    unbrokenchain likes this.
  5. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    Your goal, other than to keep the humidity > 30%, is to prevent sudden temperature change. Keep the bass away from the baseboard heating elements. Keeping it in its bag will also slow down temp change.

unbrokenchain and NickO417 like this.
  6. A new hybrid should be pretty stable. Floorboard heat is better than forced air for the bass, but, really nasty for sleeping!!!
    A bucket of water near the baseboard not far from the bass should be a enough.
    If it is dry enough to damage a newish hybrid, a normal person would be itching like crazy!

unbrokenchain and NickO417 like this.
  7. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Black Mountain, NC
    I just moved to a stick-framed, insulated house after seven years in a primitive log cabin.. so plenty of experience with harsh high-country conditions but this will be my first winter with a carved bass. I always just kept a pot of water on top of the wood stove and had no issues with my instruments (except my fiddles always dump the tuning when the pegs slip). The current house has this ingenious device called a "thermostat" that I'm absolutely loving. But it's also an old school oil furnace so I've been returning the carved bass to its bag with some newfangled polymer dampits after playing, so far so good.

Bucket of water in the room seems like a good idea with baseboard heaters

dhergert likes this.
  8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Keep it as far from the heaters as you can. That will help keep both moisture and temperature as consistent as possible.